Pre-1997 Models

Getting an '88 Suggestions Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting an '88 Suggestions Please

I am going to be getting an 88 f150 from my grandpap soon. This will be my first truck. I am very mechanically inclined and have mechanics in the family so working on it will not be a problem. I know the truck needs an oil pan, possibly some body work, and a paint job. I want some some suggestions for the truck. I know I want a billet grille, running boards, an exhaust and new rims (Suggestions on what types please). I would like to lift it but i need to be able to tow boats, jet ski's and utility trailers so is it possible and if so how much, I only plan on a 6 inch lift anyway but how will it affect my towing. The truck has the 5.0 v8 , auto trans, standard cab, 8ft bed, and is a lariat. Any thing you think i should consider doing to the truck please let me know.

Last edited by JoshHockey95; 10-08-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think you should slow down. Do the necessary repairs & ALLLLLLL the maintenance, and then just drive it for a while. You're gonna find a LOT of little problems that will need time, money, & patience to clear up before you start dumping time & money into useless stuff, like a lift & exhaust. The truck will do more than you think at stock height, and the factory (or direct-replacement) exhaust is the best overall. Take some time/miles to get to know the truck before you decide on the modifications to make it do what you want.

Is it 2WD or 4? The weak points in an '88 include: ignition module, fuel pumps & switching reservoir, EEC, EEC & fuel pump relays, engine bay wiring, certain transmissions, & certain hub locks. Read this caption:

Old 10-09-2010, 02:34 PM
It is 4wd and i'm not planning on getting things as soon as i get the truck because i can't afford to i'm just looking for things other people have and things to think about getting

Old 10-09-2010, 05:14 PM
I agree with Steve 83's post above.

The FIRST thing I do with any vehicle that I buy is a compression check. This tells me whether of not the engine is sound, and if there are any problems. I would also recommend a compression leakdown test on any engine with over 100,000 miles, especially if the compression test shows anything out of the ordinary. Also, with the newer computer controlled engines, scan for codes, and troubleshoot any problems. I have a pdf copy of an early Haynes manual for the '80 to '95s (early pink cover) that is one of the best in troubleshooting electronic sensors and fixing error codes.

The next thing that you should do is a THOROUGH inspection of ALL brake, steering, and suspension parts, and replace ANY part that is questionable. Not only do you rely on these parts working 100% to control the vehicle, but others lives and safety depend on those parts working correctly. I can not stress this enough; if a steering, suspension, or braking component fails, you could lose control of the vehicle and kill someone or cripple them for life.

A complete tuneup would be a good thing right about now, with all new components. Motorcraft plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and coil, especially if over 100,000 miles on original coil. Along with this, change the fuel and air filters, PCV valve and filter in air box, and check fuel pressure.

Next I do coolant system flush, and replace ALL hoses and the thermostat, and thoroughly flush the radiator and block. Then I do a complete oil change with an oil analysis for any metal shavings in the oil, as this will tell you how the bearings and rings are doing. Then I do a transmission fluid exchange if an automatic, or a drain and replace on a manual. Also, don't forget a fluid drain and replace for the differential or differentials. Fresh fluids are the best fluids.

NOW, leave the vehicle STOCK, and use it as you would in everyday life. Eventually, you might find something that needs improvement for the intended use, and you may want to improve this. Modifications SHOULD NOT be done before the vehicle has been thoroughly inspected and the steering, suspension, and braking system are mechanically sound.

In a nutshell, check the vehicles condition, replace worn parts with new, replace fluids, make sure that the vehicle' is safe to drive, and enjoy in STOCK condition before doing ANY modifications. Believe me, being in an unsafe modified vehicle is no fun, especially after you break a leg and arm when it crashes. Learn from this free advice without having to learn how to operate crutches with a broken arm.

Last edited by AZ Mr. Bill; 10-09-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Don't waste time dreaming about what other people have - get out there & crawl under your truck! Get a Haynes manual (the older, the better) and read it cover-to-cover a few times, concentrating on sections that apply to your truck. You can also find a LOT of info in the albums linked to the black Bronco thumbnail in my signature, and sites like http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=1 .

Old 10-09-2010, 08:16 PM
I know and understand what you're all telling me this is just to find some aftermarket parts that i might want for it. I work with vehicles and have restored a few along with building dirt track cars. I know all the things i will have to do that isn't the purpose of the post. I am not asking what will need done I am asking for parts you have had good experience with. Like what exhaust do you think sounds best. What is a nice set of rims that are fairly plain and cheap.What is a good pair of running boards. And anything else you may think would be nice to have. I will not be spending any unnecessary money for at least a year but if i have rusted bumpers and a messed up grille no running boards and a rattly exhaust I will replace them with what something nice not a stock one. The only thing I will improve even if it is ok will be audio equipment.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by JoshHockey95
Like what exhaust do you think sounds best.
Direct-replacement.
What is a nice set of rims that are fairly plain and cheap.
Stock 15" or Dodge 16".
What is a good pair of running boards.
None for a 4WD.
And anything else you may think would be nice to have.
Updated fuel pump & EEC PWR relays, tachometer, working oil pressure gauge, 130A 3G alternator, low fuel light, ]replacement battery terminals, rerouted PCV hose, clean evaporator core, autodimming compass thermometer rear-view mirror, Autolamps, RKE, front recovery eyes, 2" hitch receiver, off-road bumpers, VentShades, StepShields, tilt/cruise, dual visors, plastic dome/map lamp, captain's chairs & floor console, sliding rear window, CB, Bel RX65 radar detector...
I will replace them with what something nice not a stock one.
Stock parts are the highest-quality, best-fitting, and usually best-looking. And if you buy them used, they're the cheapest.

Last edited by Steve83; 10-10-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:39 PM
I have an 88 with a 5.0 HO from a 88 lx stang and have had it since may of 1988. As far as the exhaust I put a set of ford long tube headers with a set of high flow cats and 40 series magna flows on a set of 2.5 inch pipes, I also installed a X pipe right where the driver side pipe and the passenger side are routed side by side at the rear of the tranny, sounds great it is kinda deep at idle and has a great rumble at acceleration. I am looking at 18 inch rims for it also, seen some on one and it looked good. Check LMC for a parts catalog on replacement parts. Good luck

Quick Reply: Getting an '88 Suggestions Please