Pre-1997 Models

Fuel pump issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pump issue

Hello my name is Brian and i am new here. I have a 1995 f150 1/2ton 4x4 with a single rear tank. Well the truck died on the way home one night. It just cranks but will start and i noticed that the fuel pump was not turning on. I bought a new relay, fuse and checked the fuel pump shut off switch. So after all that i decided to pull the pump from the tank and when i got it out i hot wired the pump and it kicks on just fine. I am for sure not getting any power to the fuel pump (i tested the plug connector near the pump). I am lost as where to go from here. Has anyone ever had simular problems??

Old 09-27-2010, 07:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't run the pump dry for more than a few seconds - it needs fuel to lubricate & cool it.

The pump doesn't get constant power. It only comes on for ~1sec each time the key is turned to RUN, then waits for the ignition system to indicate the engine is turning before it comes on again. To force it on, read the bottom section of the 1st diagram in this album:

Once the relay is triggered ON (either disconnect the pump, or reinstall it normally in the tank so it has fuel flowing), retest at the tank connector. The other pics in that album show which wire is which.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump issue