Pre-1997 Models

The clutch linkage. and some other odds and ends.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The clutch linkage. and some other odds and ends.

First is the clutch linkage stuff, I finally took a good look at it and found that the push rod slides around on the bar that comes across from the pedal, I guess that little plastic bushing is shot. I found the replacement stuff.. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=580974 ...
How do I go about installing this?

Second, is the hose from the radiator to coolant overflow tank 100% necessary? I was messin with the truck and noticed antifreeze leaking, then saw the fan shroud essentially shattered and then saw the rubber hose wrapped on the fan drive majigger.
For now I stuck a piece of hose on the radiator plug and plugged it off so it wouldn't leak anymore.

Third, how do I know if my fan has a clutch and if it does how do I check to see if it works?
I think that is it for now, thanks all.

Oh and this is for steve mainly, can you send me the wiring diagram for a factory radio so I can figure out how to wire up a new head unit. Thank you much.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Aaaand incase you were going to tell me I need that whole pedal assembly, I don't..The push rod will go on the whole way and stay there for a little bit, after maybe 20-30 shifts it pops back across and I lose pedal feel.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Click my black Bronco in my sig & read the captions in the Hydraulic Clutch album. Of course, it'll be easier for you since you already have the right setup, but it shows how to dis- & re-assemble it.

Yes, you need a good airtight hose from the radiator neck to the bottom of the overflow jug. Read this article.

The fan clutch test is near the bottom of the TSB album, near some other cooling system stuff.

The radio wiring is shown in the Radio album.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks steve you've always got the answers.
I'm not going to have time to get the parts until saturday or sunday and I'm not sure when I'll do the radio but I will soon.
I really hate this working until dark thing.
Another thing, my gas gauge was reading full for awhile when it should of been about half, then would go down, and back up and so on. It seems to be working now but it still bounces around some. Any ideas?

Old 09-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Another question, what should be the routing of the hose from the radiator to the overflow container?
Down and under the radiator across and back up or simply up a little and across the top?

Old 09-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Your fuel gauge is basically the same as this diagram, but it goes thru the tank select switch.

Overflow hose routing isn't critical, as long as it's airtight. There's a clip molded into the fan shroud for it.

Quick Reply: The clutch linkage. and some other odds and ends.