Pre-1997 Models

cat-back exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cat-back exhaust system

Well I am trying to knock out a few items on my truck I am taking care of.
I have replace plugs,wires, cap&rotor.
Got the timing complete, thanks to StrangeRanger for some info.
Clutch and exhaust are next.
Now I am on to the exhaust system. My current setup is rusted out in a few places. I was looking at replacing whole system w/ cat back set up. I am not worried about power or sound. Just need a good quality system I can order and get install quickly. I need an inspection asap.

Was looking at summit and 4 wheel parts. Just curious on your opinons?
I do not have a muffler shop close that I am familiar with.
Thanks

Old 06-22-2010, 02:41 PM
The stock exhaust on a 4.9 is unnecessarily restrictive. Since you need to replace it, go to a 2.5" with mandrel bent tubing; you'll notice the difference. I won't discuss the tone of various muffler systems because everybody has an opinion and very few of them agree. I went with a Flowmaster 70 Series because it was the quietest free flowing muffler I could find. Most people here probably think it is too quiet.

A couple of things of which you need to be aware:
First, a lot of mandrel bent exhaust kits are generic and require cutting and welding to fit to your specific application. If that is outside the range of your equipment and capabilities, you're going to either have to look for a system that is a specific fit to your truck or pay an exhaust shop to do it.
Second, I honestly do not remember where the bung for the third HEGO sensor is located (I've replaced my twin cats with a single 3-way.) If it is between the cats then you're good to go. If it is in the exhaust after the second cat, then you need to install a new bung for it. You'll need to weld one in or to take it to an exhaust shop.

This is the kind of job that I'd rather hire done than do myself. There's usually an exhaust shop in the area that all the gearheads use. Ask around and see what you can find out. I'll give you a hint: it won't be Midas.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:03 PM
sounds like I will be looking for a good shop. We used to have a great one in our town, but it has since closed/retired.

What type of 3 way cat are you running now?

Old 06-22-2010, 03:08 PM

Quick Reply: cat-back exhaust system