Go Back   F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > Pre-1997 Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Pre-1997 Models

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 03-09-2010, 11:35 PM
Garage is empty, add now

carb leaking gas

Went out and fired out my old truck that I've decided to fix up. It has recently starting idling very rough and a little smoke out of the tailpipe. While looking around under the hood I noticed a gas leak coming from the bottom front of the carb and leaking onto the EGR body (i think thats what it is). So I shut it off and tightened the nuts holding the body to the manifold and restarted it. It ran nice for a couple minutes and no leak but slowly started running rough and starting dripping again. I pulled the carb off and looked at the bottom but couldn't see anything on a quick peek. So, I'm wondering if anyone here has heard of this and would a rebuild fix it? Also, should there be a gasket between the egr housing and the manifold...like the one between the carb and top of egr housing?

My truck info:

84 F150
300 6cyl
1bbl carter carb

I should also note that i never noticed this until after spraying some Seafoam "Deep Creep" and Seafoam cleaner through it trying to fix a stalling at stop sign problem.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1981 ford bronco
Ah, you have the infamous carter fuel leak due to a bad accelerator pump diaphram, and possible loose lower carb bolts. Easiest fix is to overhaul the carb with a complete kit (because the accelerator pump is internal) and put a little blue loctite on the bolts that hold the throttle blade adapter to the bottom of the carb housing during reassembly. If you've never done one of these carbs, there are some very small parts and springs inside that NEED to be accounted for on reassembly. So depending on your abilities, it may be necessary to leave it to someone more experienced.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2006 Ford F250
Upgrade to a small holley carb! Or, rebuild the one you have.

Videos:
Nathan Airchime K5HA - short burst
Nathan Airchime K5HA - time delay
F150 Exhaust Borla true dual X pipe
Old 07-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Holly Carb

Which one would be a good upgrade?
Old 07-25-2011, 03:37 PM
1983 Ford Bronco

Vehicle: 1983 Ford Bronco
A reman that's already set up with a warranty. Call a few parts stores.

But your best move is an EFI swap.

. . .
Old 07-25-2011, 03:37 PM