Pre-1997 Models

1994 F150 won't start with Key

Old 03-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 F150 won't start with Key

Hello! I search this forum & Google for a solution to my problem. I saw some posts with problems similar to mine, but no solutions.

I went to work one day, and as I was backing in, I noticed the lights on my radio flickered (aftermarket radio, been in truck for several years). The next morning put key in the ignition to start it & nothing. I had to jump the starter solenoid on the pass firewall, to start the truck (with no problem - fired right up). Drove home, about 20 miles, shut truck off, but would not start via turning the key.

Thought starter solenoid was bad, so I replaced it. Still same thing. Bought a new ignition module (under steering column mount). Still same thing. I know the battery is good.

I ruled out starter & starter mounted solenoid, but truck can be started, via jumping starter solenoid on fire wall. I tried to start truck in neutral, still won't start. When key switch is turned just before start position, truck buzzer, radio, dash lights, signal lights, all work. All fuses check good. I also have an aftermarket remote starter, that I had for 3/4 years, without any issues.

I'm down to the ignition switch key cylinder, neutral safety switch, PIP sensor (distributor), TFI sensor.

I think this cover's everything. Any thoughts on this issue? Thanks.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by EMoe
Hello! I search this forum & Google for a solution to my problem. I saw some posts with problems similar to mine, but no solutions.

I went to work one day, and as I was backing in, I noticed the lights on my radio flickered (aftermarket radio, been in truck for several years). The next morning put key in the ignition to start it & nothing. I had to jump the starter solenoid on the pass firewall, to start the truck (with no problem - fired right up). Drove home, about 20 miles, shut truck off, but would not start via turning the key.

Thought starter solenoid was bad, so I replaced it. Still same thing. Bought a new ignition module (under steering column mount). Still same thing. I know the battery is good.

I ruled out starter & starter mounted solenoid, but truck can be started, via jumping starter solenoid on fire wall. I tried to start truck in neutral, still won't start. When key switch is turned just before start position, truck buzzer, radio, dash lights, signal lights, all work. All fuses check good. I also have an aftermarket remote starter, that I had for 3/4 years, without any issues.

I'm down to the ignition switch key cylinder, neutral safety switch, PIP sensor (distributor), TFI sensor.

I think this cover's everything. Any thoughts on this issue? Thanks.
Wouldn't be PIP or TFI. Test between the small actuator wire going to the starter solenoid & it's connection on the solenoid (on the firewall, when the key is turned to start position (two people). Probably won't see current. When the key is turned to the on position, the actuator bar levers the Ignition switch farther down the column energizing everything but the starter circuit. Further tuning to start position then is supposed to energize the starter circuit momentarily till the switch returns to the on position. It sounds like the starter circuit contacts in the ignition switch are fried or not making contact. This is located inside the lower column. However, a pooched neutral safety switch will also result in the same conditions.

Last edited by ymeski; 03-04-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Thanks ymeski for the reply! Sounds like replacing the key cylinder isn't going to do it. The problem exists further into the steering column, which probably means disassembling it, steering wheel and all (am I right?)

I hear some people say that the rod on the ignition module, could break. Well I was thinking about the little metal end piece on the module itself snapping off, but the rod being referenced, is further into the column, I guess.

I'll check this out, then post a reply.

Thanks again, for your help.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Thanks ymeski for the reply! Sounds like replacing the key cylinder isn't going to do it. The problem exists further into the steering column, which probably means disassembling it, steering wheel and all (am I right?) Do yourself a favor, & pick up a repair manual.

I hear some people say that the rod on the ignition module, could break. Well I was thinking about the little metal end piece on the module itself snapping off, but the rod being referenced, is further into the column, I guess.
Yep. The switch will also sometimes start to actuate ****eyed. Leaving contacts, not contacting.
I'll check this out, then post a reply.
Don't forget to eliminate the N/S switch first. You don't want to get into the column if you don't have to.
Thanks again, for your help.
your welcome!

Last edited by ymeski; 03-04-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Just dropping in, to post a quick update. Picked up a Chilton's Repair Manual today. Will resume work on the truck on Monday. I'll make sure to eliminate the Neutral Safety Switch, before tearing into the column.

Thanks again! Will post update, as aquired. I'll be checking this thread, for more help suggestions in the meantime.

Thanks.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:47 PM
94 F150 won't crank with key

New discovery & test question:

I removed the ignition control module, with the wiring hardness still attached. I then switched the key, to the start position, which had no spring back, because the spring back action, is provided with the module, not the lock cylinder, or the actuator rod.

Anyway, I then moved the small stem rod on the module, through the positions, simulating, as if it was attached to the ignition components. Same thing, engine would not crank! I can look at the underside, of the steering column, and see the plastic mechanism moving, as I turn the key in the cylinder.

Can I rule out, from here a broken "actuator rod", upper or lower, in the steering column. I still did not fully test the NSS (trying to find the best way to do it).

Thanks!

Old 03-08-2010, 05:23 PM
If you run the error code scans, A code will show for the N/S switch, will show if it's bad. You might be surprised what else.http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13 or http://www.handsontools.com/Equus-In...ol_p_5574.html

Last edited by ymeski; 03-08-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:38 PM
OK, I just replaced the NSS, and the truck is still doing the same thing. Just to backtrack, I can jump the starter solenoid, or give power to the "S" terminal, via a jumper wire from battery positive to the "S" terminal, & truck fires up, like a charm.

What am I missing here? I'm questioning my key cylinder now, after NEW ignition module, New starter solenoid, & now NEW neutral safety switch. Also, what are the chances that something in the computer itself, has gone bad.

Thanks!

Old 03-21-2010, 01:30 AM
Trace the wire off the S terminal back to the ignition switch. Look for compromised insulation or a bad wire splice or it not completely seated going in a connector. Sometimes they pull out the back, so contact is not made in the connector. Have you tried running error code scans?

Old 03-21-2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks. Not yet, I will look for an obvious wire connection problem. If I find nothing, then I might just buy a hand held 40/50 dollar code reader.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Solved

My problem is solved!

After replacing the "starter relay", "ignition module", "battery", "NSS"; still no start. I don't know if this was just a coincidence, but, I jumped the truck to get it started, then removed the battery cable, and the truck shut off... A no brainer, need a new alternator. Replaced the alternator, still no start (but wasn't expecting it to).

So decided to do last, what I should have done first. I traced the Red/L.Blue stripped wire, from the starter solenoid "s" terminal, to inside the cab, using my ohmmeter to detect for breaks. The wire led me to a black box underneath the dash, labeled "ProLock" box. The wire tested good, going into the box, but failed on the wire exiting the box. That was my problem!

Not completely sure what the box is used for (diagnostics I guess), but I removed it from the circuit. AND... now the truck starts with the key. No need for a push button.

Photos attached...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/metrade...7623848344234/

Old 04-13-2010, 05:16 PM
looks like a fused switch. My guess is it's an ignition killer for an alarm system. Some of those can be triggered just by fooling w/ your battery. I know they make security stuff. I almost bought a fingerprint actuated gun safe they make. If they can make those...............!

Last edited by ymeski; 04-13-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:03 PM
Thanks a bunch Ymeski!
Also thanks to ALL, that helped me troubleshoot, this issue. I hope my follow-up & photos will help, someone else with similar issues.

Thanks A Million,
Happy Ford Driver.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:43 PM
Thanks. Not yet, I will look for an obvious wire connection problem. If I find nothing, then I might just buy a hand held 40/50 dollar code reader.
http://www.handsontools.com/Equus-In...ol_p_5574.html $22.77

Old 10-18-2014, 01:46 PM
wont start

my 94 f150 wont start. I was driving it around and had to drop someone off. I turned it off for about 5 minutes and came back and it wouldn't start. It just clicks like the battery is dead but all the lights and windows work fine. It wont turn over, just clicks. any suggestions?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1994 F150 won't start with Key