Go Back   F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > Pre-1997 Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-1997 Models

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 11-01-2009, 03:51 PM

Vehicle: 1993 Ford F150
Relocated PCV hose 1993 F150 *a must do project?*

Hi guys,

I think i remember reading that, up to a certain year, there was a TSB or something saying to relocate your PCV hose because it was causing issues with #8 cylinder/piston.

I *think* the fix for this was to remove the upper intake and drill a new hole and insert the PCV there with the exhaust going to the backside of the intake (where the brake booster connects).

But I also thought you could simply buy 3/8" length of hose and a T-fitting. You then cut your brake booster hose, insert T-fitting and the 3/8" hose coming off the PCV........this i remember worked quite well for many who tried.

Any success stories on this? I am changing my PCV tomorrow and would like to do this mod.

Oh yea........what do you use to plug the drivers side (#8) once this is done???

-Glade
E4OD tranny

Last edited by GLADESTEEN; 11-01-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:36 PM

Vehicle: 1995 ford f150
issues with #8 cylinder?? hmm... my #8 piston cracked back in August.

*looks around- coincidence maybe? probably not...
a bunch of boats:

Last edited by aswaff400; 11-01-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:58 PM

aswaff400,

Yes, i was referring also to the piston. I found a few threads on a different forum and saw *both* repairs for this. The recommended (Ford) TSB is to remove the intake, drill it and relocated the PCV and hose.

There were also several users who simply bought some 3/8" hose, cut the brake booster, installed a T, and then routed the exhaust end (3/8" hose) of the PCV to the open end of the T. It dumps right into the throttle body. This supposed *fix* cured many a idle issue and definitely resolved dumping crud into the #8 cylinder/piston area.........you cap that off once you perform this procedure.

-Glade
Old 11-02-2009, 06:14 PM

I didn't cut or splice anything. I just ran the pcv line to an available port on the vacuum "tree". Then i plugged the port in the back of the plenum with a vacuum cap.

Click the image to open in full size.

Doing this also makes changing the pcv valve a breeze as you won't have that hard elbow to deal with.

This should be a "must do".
Old 11-02-2009, 08:33 PM

Skaterbro,

Thanks for replying. You said you just plugged right in to the plenum....what hose did you use? Was it 3/8" tubing also? I have a spot on the 3 prong that had a plug on it...maybe thats what u used.

You also said that this made the changing of the PCV easier. Did you put a different type in or something? I am going with the Motorcraft e140 (or something like that).

What type of plug did you get to fix the driver side #8? Is there a way to get them from autozone/advance, etc..

Thanks!
Glade
E4OD tranny
Old 11-03-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADESTEEN View Post
....what hose did you use? Was it 3/8" tubing also? I have a spot on the 3 prong that had a plug on it...maybe thats what u used.
Yes, 3/8" I.D. hose. Get a couple feet so you have plenty to work with. In the pic above you can see which port i ran it to. That port had a vacuum cap on it already so i simply used that cap to plug the port in the back.

Quote:
You also said that this made the changing of the PCV easier. Did you put a different type in or something? I am going with the Motorcraft e140 (or something like that).
That's the one, it's EV140. It makes it easier because the new hose you'll be using is much, much more flexible. So when you change the pcv valve you can simply pull it out of the valve cover without even having to disconnect the hose first.

Quote:
What type of plug did you get to fix the driver side #8? Is there a way to get them from autozone/advance, etc..
Not exactly sure what you're talking about. Only thing i had to plug was the port in the back of the intake plenum.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:47 PM

Oh , ok thanks for clearing things up.
I guess that must be the port where the existing system used to run to (the other end from the PCV. Some were saying because of that location, it was causing #8 piston to fail prematurely.

I've not yet looked at it to see where the original ended up, but it has to be the plenum location like you said.

Thanks for the tip, will be changing this over Saturday.

-Glade
Old 11-04-2009, 07:44 PM

Vehicle: 2004 ford f150 fx4
Quote:
Oh , ok thanks for clearing things up.
I guess that must be the port where the existing system used to run to (the other end from the PCV. Some were saying because of that location, it was causing #8 piston to fail prematurely.
-Glade
yea, my papers for my jasper engine said something like the location of it caused the #8 cylinder to pull in all the gases and oil causing the #8 cylinder to overheat or run hotter or something. and i ran my hose to the same way as skatebro, and the vacuum cap that i pulled off of that vacuum tree was 5/16(i think, but it was smaller than 3/8) so it was a little tough to get onto the 3/8 pcv port, but it did go on and i'm still using it. and you will need the clamp to hold the hose onto the vacuum tree. i went to napa and got the 3ft piece of vacuum hose that was in a little package for just a couple bucks.

and skatebro- is that plastic wire loom there for a reason or just for looks? reason i ask is i didnt use one

Last edited by Matts ford; 11-04-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:28 PM

I'd like to think they help with the heat, even if it is just a tiny bit. But yeah, mainly for looks. It's not all over the place either, just here and there.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:33 PM

Vehicle: 2004 ford f150 fx4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKATERBRO View Post
I'd like to think they help with the heat, even if it is just a tiny bit. But yeah, mainly for looks. It's not all over the place either, just here and there.
it does look pretty good in there, definately stands out i will say that only thing that stands out in my engine comparment is the white wire i ran along the a/c suction line for my fog lights, kinda annoying

Last edited by Matts ford; 11-05-2009 at 02:26 PM. Reason: forgot a word
Old 11-05-2009, 12:56 AM

Vehicle: 1992 FORD F-150
my vaccuum tree is completely filled with tubes... did you ditch something or was it already open? mine is a 92 tho.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_516 View Post
my vaccuum tree is completely filled with tubes... did you ditch something or was it already open? mine is a 92 tho.

To keep the job simple in your case, just swap the positions of the brake booster hose and the PCV valve hose. So your new setup will look just like in the pic, but your brake booster hose will be ran to the back of the plenum.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:37 PM

Hey guys, just came across this post. I am currently working on doing this to my 5.8L which should be the same as the 5.0L.

My question is: Do you need to remove the plenum in order to install the pcv valve into the valve cover or can it be done without removing it?
Old 04-02-2013, 07:37 PM