Pre-1997 Models

Relocated PCV hose 1993 F150 *a must do project?*

Old 11-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Relocated PCV hose 1993 F150 *a must do project?*

Hi guys,

I think i remember reading that, up to a certain year, there was a TSB or something saying to relocate your PCV hose because it was causing issues with #8 cylinder/piston.

I *think* the fix for this was to remove the upper intake and drill a new hole and insert the PCV there with the exhaust going to the backside of the intake (where the brake booster connects).

But I also thought you could simply buy 3/8" length of hose and a T-fitting. You then cut your brake booster hose, insert T-fitting and the 3/8" hose coming off the PCV........this i remember worked quite well for many who tried.

Any success stories on this? I am changing my PCV tomorrow and would like to do this mod.

Oh yea........what do you use to plug the drivers side (#8) once this is done???

-Glade

Last edited by GLADESTEEN; 11-01-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:36 PM
issues with #8 cylinder?? hmm... my #8 piston cracked back in August.

*looks around- coincidence maybe? probably not...

Last edited by aswaff400; 11-01-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:58 PM
aswaff400,

Yes, i was referring also to the piston. I found a few threads on a different forum and saw *both* repairs for this. The recommended (Ford) TSB is to remove the intake, drill it and relocated the PCV and hose.

There were also several users who simply bought some 3/8" hose, cut the brake booster, installed a T, and then routed the exhaust end (3/8" hose) of the PCV to the open end of the T. It dumps right into the throttle body. This supposed *fix* cured many a idle issue and definitely resolved dumping crud into the #8 cylinder/piston area.........you cap that off once you perform this procedure.

-Glade

Old 11-02-2009, 06:14 PM
I didn't cut or splice anything. I just ran the pcv line to an available port on the vacuum "tree". Then i plugged the port in the back of the plenum with a vacuum cap.

Name:  PCVhose1.jpg
Views: 16144
Size:  81.6 KB

Doing this also makes changing the pcv valve a breeze as you won't have that hard elbow to deal with.

This should be a "must do".

Old 11-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Skaterbro,

Thanks for replying. You said you just plugged right in to the plenum....what hose did you use? Was it 3/8" tubing also? I have a spot on the 3 prong that had a plug on it...maybe thats what u used.

You also said that this made the changing of the PCV easier. Did you put a different type in or something? I am going with the Motorcraft e140 (or something like that).

What type of plug did you get to fix the driver side #8? Is there a way to get them from autozone/advance, etc..

Thanks!
Glade

Old 11-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by GLADESTEEN
....what hose did you use? Was it 3/8" tubing also? I have a spot on the 3 prong that had a plug on it...maybe thats what u used.
Yes, 3/8" I.D. hose. Get a couple feet so you have plenty to work with. In the pic above you can see which port i ran it to. That port had a vacuum cap on it already so i simply used that cap to plug the port in the back.

You also said that this made the changing of the PCV easier. Did you put a different type in or something? I am going with the Motorcraft e140 (or something like that).
That's the one, it's EV140. It makes it easier because the new hose you'll be using is much, much more flexible. So when you change the pcv valve you can simply pull it out of the valve cover without even having to disconnect the hose first.

What type of plug did you get to fix the driver side #8? Is there a way to get them from autozone/advance, etc..
Not exactly sure what you're talking about. Only thing i had to plug was the port in the back of the intake plenum.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Oh , ok thanks for clearing things up.
I guess that must be the port where the existing system used to run to (the other end from the PCV. Some were saying because of that location, it was causing #8 piston to fail prematurely.

I've not yet looked at it to see where the original ended up, but it has to be the plenum location like you said.

Thanks for the tip, will be changing this over Saturday.

-Glade

Old 11-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Oh , ok thanks for clearing things up.
I guess that must be the port where the existing system used to run to (the other end from the PCV. Some were saying because of that location, it was causing #8 piston to fail prematurely.
-Glade
yea, my papers for my jasper engine said something like the location of it caused the #8 cylinder to pull in all the gases and oil causing the #8 cylinder to overheat or run hotter or something. and i ran my hose to the same way as skatebro, and the vacuum cap that i pulled off of that vacuum tree was 5/16(i think, but it was smaller than 3/8) so it was a little tough to get onto the 3/8 pcv port, but it did go on and i'm still using it. and you will need the clamp to hold the hose onto the vacuum tree. i went to napa and got the 3ft piece of vacuum hose that was in a little package for just a couple bucks.

and skatebro- is that plastic wire loom there for a reason or just for looks? reason i ask is i didnt use one

Last edited by Matts ford; 11-04-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:28 PM
I'd like to think they help with the heat, even if it is just a tiny bit. But yeah, mainly for looks. It's not all over the place either, just here and there.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by SKATERBRO
I'd like to think they help with the heat, even if it is just a tiny bit. But yeah, mainly for looks. It's not all over the place either, just here and there.
it does look pretty good in there, definately stands out i will say that only thing that stands out in my engine comparment is the white wire i ran along the a/c suction line for my fog lights, kinda annoying

Last edited by Matts ford; 11-05-2009 at 02:26 PM. Reason: forgot a word
Old 11-05-2009, 12:56 AM
my vaccuum tree is completely filled with tubes... did you ditch something or was it already open? mine is a 92 tho.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:27 AM
Originally Posted by andrew_516
my vaccuum tree is completely filled with tubes... did you ditch something or was it already open? mine is a 92 tho.

To keep the job simple in your case, just swap the positions of the brake booster hose and the PCV valve hose. So your new setup will look just like in the pic, but your brake booster hose will be ran to the back of the plenum.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:37 PM
Hey guys, just came across this post. I am currently working on doing this to my 5.8L which should be the same as the 5.0L.

My question is: Do you need to remove the plenum in order to install the pcv valve into the valve cover or can it be done without removing it?

Old 02-23-2015, 09:29 PM
cantfixspit

Originally Posted by SKATERBRO
To keep the job simple in your case, just swap the positions of the brake booster hose and the PCV valve hose. So your new setup will look just like in the pic, but your brake booster hose will be ran to the back of the plenum.
I've got a 1993 5.0 having the same issue with oil blowing out into the air box, will this swaping the intake end of pcv valve hose with the brake booster hose port on the vacuum tree(or open port and plug intake hole) trick work on my 1993? From what I've seen it may only work up to 1992.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:21 PM
What Year F-150s did this TSB Cover? I have a 1995 F-150 with the 5.0, I haven't checked it out under the Hood yet to see how the PCV is run. But do I need to do his as well, or did Ford fix this on the later Models after the TSB?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Relocated PCV hose 1993 F150 *a must do project?*