Pre-1997 Models

Vacuum Diagram 1989 F150 5.8 351

Old 08-26-2009, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vacuum Diagram 1989 F150 5.8 351

Hello all, I'm new to the whole Ford Truck thing and I'm having trouble figuring out the correct way to route the vacuum lines. I bought this truck in bad shape and most of the vacuum lines were disconnected or in the wrong location (I believe).

I've searched high and low for the vacuum diagram but with no luck. I do have the one in the truck itself but it doesn't list any where close to all the vacuum lines. I've also been to the Autozone site but couldn't find any there either. Any more suggestions?

Brian

Old 08-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The only vacuum lines not shown on the VECI label are for cruise & HVAC. There are only ~10 for the engine - not many at all. You can temporarily disconnect the others & plug those vacuum nipples to get the engine running right. Then work on the other 2 systems later.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:41 AM
Unhappy F150 5.8 missing VECI diagram

When we pressure washed our '88 F150 / 351 the VECI label disintegrated. Unfortunately neither of the manuals we have include diagrams for the vacuum lines. Does anyone know where I can download a copy of the VECI, or, can someone take a decent pix of their label and post or email it to me? mfowler@sc.rr.com

Thanks in advance

Old 09-16-2009, 10:49 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Try google images for 1988 F150 vacuum diagram ?

http://www.netrockets.com/~cmcmanus@...me-diagram.GIF

One of the regular members here has quite a few old diagrams under his account on another site, it could be there also ( usually ~ 83 MY, but worth a look )

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/2742/12671

Old 09-16-2009, 11:27 AM
Smile Thanks!

Thanks for the links, they got me started. We have had the truck for about 2 years and really love it despite its terrible gas mileage (3 speed auto with code "18" axle yielding 2600 rpm at 65 and 12 mpg! Ugh! But great for towing...). It idled great when we got it but very rough at cruise. We quickly found that the cruise control vacuum hose had worn against a bracket at the center back of the engine (bracket mounts the coil and is very sharp.. what were Ford engineers thinking?). Fixed that vac leak and everything ran great for about six months. Then, while at idle and in neutral, I blipped the engine up to about 4,000 rpm and something when wrong and we have had a very rough idle ever since. Been through the ignition system (no fouled plugs, wires and cap OK) and all over then engine with a can of ether looking for another vacuum leak (plugs indicate running very lean). Corked up the egr valve temporarly, no joy. Cleaned the trottle body and idle bypass, still idles very rough and stumbles on acceleration until about 1500 rpm where it then runs fine. Been working on trucks for longer than I am willing to admit but this one has really got me stumped. Takes about 20 seconds to finally die at idle wjen in drive but will run rough indefinitely when in neutral. Any thoughts?

PS: If I could get this truck to 17-19 mpg hyway I would drive it forever. Changing the trans to one with overdrive would be a great start. There was a 4 speed auto / OD available in 1988 for the F150, but is there a better, later trans that would be a better choice? Going from a final gear of 1:1 to .76:1 would be great...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vacuum Diagram 1989 F150 5.8 351