Pre-1997 Models

Fuel Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Injectors

Where is a good place to get a set of Fuel Injectors. I have a 97 F250 5.8. I have chased a clattering,spark knock problem for some tiome. I believe with 180,000 miles on it, The injectors are probably my problem. There are no codes and the truck runs fine with the exception of the clattering on heavy acceleration and with a load on it.

I pulled a 16'' lowboy about 600 miles. It wasnt even loaded heavy but was slow on take off and was just lacking the power it should have. Also the truck ran better coming back and seamed like it got better milage and I drove back with the OD off

Old 06-13-2009, 10:49 AM
OK, Its a 1997 F250 4x4 with a 5.8 (Auto Tranny)

Old 06-13-2009, 12:46 PM
with the mileage it may be alot of carbon buildup in the combustion chambers. why would you think the injectors are the problem? all 8 of mine have 273000 miles on them and they are perfectly fine. have you checked the ignition timing?

Old 06-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Yes, I been through EVERYTHING else. EGR, EVR, Timing, Even removed the Catalitic converter, run sea foam through it, even Lucas, twice with the little bottle and even dumped the quart bottle in one tank. I cant think of anything else. I found a web site awhile back that the guy rebuild them even matches them all so they spray exactly the same. I dont know what that will benifit, but I am open to Ideas.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:29 PM
ran sea foam through the vacuum line or the fuel system? running it through the vacuum booster line will get rid of most of the carbon build up and running it through the fuel system is suppose to clean the fuel injectors and lines. so which did you do? what kind of gas do you use? how old are the spark plugs? are they the stock replacements or are they a hotter plug? how did you check the egr? suck test?

Old 06-14-2009, 05:28 PM
Did Both with the seafoam, As far as gas, I use regular unleaded and it should run fine on it, the truck is stock. If I run Super, It does not clatter but as I said the truck is stock. I guess I am going to go back to Shell gas. I got gas at a Bucee's, Local stations, this time nd the clattering came back. Maybe its just the gas.Spark plugs are new, I even went to the regular copper plugs at someone elses suggestion and was a waste of time and money, no change, so I put the ones that called for in the book. The EGR, I took it off, it was VERY clean, as if it were new, in fact I had tro replace the tube from the manifold to the EGR, the original had several cracks. That actually took care of some of the clatter, but its still there. I did suck on the vacuum port and there was no vacuum leak and the valve worked as suppose to. I checked the EVR by grounding the wire as was instructed and the truck died as was suppose to. I dont know of anything else to check. I actually changed the fuel filter, thought I did previously but a dirty as the fuel was coming from the back side of the filter, I obviously didnt. Anyway, the truck runs ALOT better nor that it is getting the gas that its suppose to but still has some clattering. Its not as bad, the fainter clatter is gone, in other workds probably about 50 o/o of the clatter is gone. Well I guess I will check the pressure at the regulator before I go with the injectors. I dont know where else to go with it.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:53 PM
is your truck maf? clean the maf. and do a volume test while you doing the pressure test. general rule of thumb is around a quart in 30 seconds.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:50 AM
Mine is Speed Density, its a 5.8

Old 07-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by neorulzu2
Go buy some Ethos FR online and use it. I do and I get 5MPG better and no more 'noises' from engine. My '93, 5.0 V8 has 240,000 and runs great, but before I discovered the Ethos FR (Fuel Reformulator), my truck always felt like it had something wrong with it.
Where can I get this stuff

Last edited by Jeff Dodson; 07-12-2009 at 07:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Fuel Injectors