Pre-1997 Models

headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
headers

I have a '93 5.8L extended cab 4x4.

Who has installed headers on their truck? (what problems did you run into)

what brand did you go with and why?

are coated headers really worth it? or can I use exhaust wrap?

Reason I am asking is because I am obviously thinking about doing my exhaust on my truck. I am thinking about having a shop do the install with the headers because Im wanting a clean routed custom made 2.5" Y-pipe into a 2.5" 2 into 1 flowmaster collecter and I figure they'd do a better job than me. But after that, I would do the install myself with the cat and muffler and then exit out the passenger side in front of tire.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:22 PM
i'm assuuming you want long tube headers? if so make sure whichever ones you go with that it doesnt touch the cross member under the engine.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:23 PM
The Ford Racing shorties are the easiest fit-up. They're a direct bolt-on for your stock manifolds. They'll give you about the same HP peak as long tubes but they will not give you as much mid-range. With a 5.8 that may not be so much of a problem.

Definitely go with the coated headers, they reduce the amount of underhood heat you have to deal with and can prevent some nasty burns. Wrap just causes the uncoated headers to rot out more quickly than they normally would.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:23 PM
oops, sorry.

I am looking at shorties because of clearence issues.

Can I use spray paint to prevent that?

Or do the headers create more heat than the stock manifolds?

Last edited by jahwarrior1423; 06-17-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:13 PM
i installed long tubes on my truck. didnt have any clearance issues. painted headers are ok if your on a tight budget, otherwise get coated. the paint burns off after 100 or so miles. even if you paint them with header paint, it'll still burn and flake off if you splash through a puddle... i went with hooker headers, and then dyno-max offroad true duals for the pipes... sounds real good...

quick question: why go through all the trouble of headers and "custom" exhaust if its gonna be kept single?

Old 06-18-2009, 12:05 AM
is there any proof of more power gain with dual? I have a stock engine.

And I figure a single will be much easier to route and build than duals.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:18 AM
i had my my old exhaust off and my headers and dual pipes, mufflers and everything on in my driveway in less than 3 hours using just simple tools... 2.25 to 2.5" true duals would be fine with your stock 5.8. get a k&n drop in filter and you'd be set... i planned on dumping my duals out in front of the rear passenger side wheel, i didnt feel like cleaning my wheel all the time so i just have it dump out of the mufflers for now... for the most part my truck is stock... all i have is intake and a chip...

Old 06-18-2009, 11:00 AM
It isnt an issue for me to install headers and exhaust but was concerned with the y-pipe coming off the headers to the collector...want it to be perfect.

Do they make a direct bolt on kit for true duals? or is the kit you used a cut/weld/bend job?

And I figure a single would be cheaper since I only need one cat with my truck I believe. Because if I dont have a cat, I may throw codes.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:15 PM
this is the exact kit that i bought for my truck...

http://summitracing.com/parts/WLK-89016/

the bends on the kit line up pretty good from the headers to the mufflers but after the muffler they dont line up the best if you wanted to go all the way back. but theres enough pipe to cut and weld to have it come out b4 the wheel or how ever you want it... 140 bucks is way cheaper than what the local muffler shop wanted around here... and its all mandrel bet tubes, not them compressed bends like muffler shops do.

since there is only one O2 sensor and its before the cats, it wont throw a code if you remove them... i haven't gotten a code yet and haven't had cats on since december...

heres my set up:

it may cost a little bit more than single, but the sound it definitely worth it!

Last edited by aswaff400; 06-18-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by aswaff400
this is the exact kit that i bought for my truck...

http://summitracing.com/parts/WLK-89016/

i was thinking about buying that kit so i didnt have to deal with a shop. but what exactly did you do with the o2 sensor? just put it in 1 pipe or did you put an h pipe in there or something? and what is it about that kit that makes you need to use an offset/center muffler? is it the inlet pipes are higher/lower than the factory single or the tailpipes are higher/lower?

Old 06-18-2009, 10:35 PM
i just drilled a hole and welded in a o2 sensor bung on 1 of the headers... you can prolly find headers that already have it done...

i want to say the tail pipes are lower if an offset muffler isnt used...? i dont remember... i didnt like how it lined up so i just have it dumped out of the mufflers

Old 06-19-2009, 01:19 AM
that kit looks nice.

I had a buddy cut my exhuast after the 2nd cat today cause my exhuast was rotten like no other. It sounds decent.

But after he cut my muffler off, I went to a muffler shop right down the street. I asked him what the cost would be for him to build me a y-pipe from the headers (once I install them) into a collector so that I could have a single out. He qouted me $130. So that kit you should me is pretty nice.

If I get the same, if not more, power gain with full length headers than I'll go with the full length. But I have a few questions...

I have a 4x4 and you have a 2wd. Will I run into any clearence issues?

You have a lift, I have no lift, what type of ground clearence am I looking at? Just seems that your headers hang low.

And what all do I need to buy from Summit to have a complete setup? ex: I see header flanges, do I need those?

And will any of those full length headers work for my truck? after putting my vehicle specs in of course.

As you can tell, dont know much about exhaust. Sorry.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:17 AM
Originally Posted by jahwarrior1423
that kit looks nice.

I had a buddy cut my exhaust after the 2nd cat today cause my exhaust was rotten like no other. It sounds decent.

But after he cut my muffler off, I went to a muffler shop right down the street. I asked him what the cost would be for him to build me a y-pipe from the headers (once I install them) into a collector so that I could have a single out. He quoted me $130. So that kit you should me is pretty nice.

If I get the same, if not more, power gain with full length headers than I'll go with the full length. But I have a few questions...
you will get more power with full length, noticeable power

I have a 4x4 and you have a 2wd. Will I run into any clearance issues?
when you install the headers, you may need to remove the front drive shaft to make things slide in a little easier

You have a lift, I have no lift, what type of ground clearance am I looking at? Just seems that your headers hang low
none, its a truck! watch some youtube vids, there's all kinds of vids of lowered f150s with headers....

And what all do I need to buy from Summit to have a complete setup? ex: I see header flanges, do I need those?
every thing you see in the kit comes with the kit, you'll have to get the muffler of your choice though!

And will any of those full length headers work for my truck? after putting my vehicle specs in of course.
yes, the drivers side header kinda hugs the block and tranny to clear the front drive shaft. and the pipe in that kit goes under the cross member so it doesn't interfere with any of the running gear

As you can tell, dont know much about exhaust. Sorry.
the other thing i'd add id a k&n filter... help it breathe easier

heres a vid of my 5.0 with supper 44's dumped out the mufflers...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=502Tmo2NB30

Last edited by aswaff400; 06-19-2009 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:38 AM
As long as you continue to breathe air, you owe it to yourself and to the rest of us to keep that air as clean as possible. Go with a a single high flow 3-way cat in place of your stock twin cats. You can use either a 2-in x 1-out or a 2-in x 2-out cat. Either way, the cat functions as the crossover. A 3" single out pipe is a lot easier to route than a pair of 2.25" or 2.5". Modern high flow cats only cost something on the order of 2 HP; there is simply no legitimate use for not having one in place.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:44 PM
what headers diameter would be best for my truck? 1 1/2" or 1 5/8" tube diameter?

And I know the hooker headers are obviously coated outside with ceramic, but are the also coated inside?

Quick Reply: headers