Pre-1997 Models

Starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting problems

I have an odd question about starting issues on my 1995 F-150 5.0 V8 with K&N fipk. It has 126k on the odometer. In the morning it will start right up, and when leaving work for instance will turn right over, but if I make any stops in between or leave the house after getting home, it'll turn over and then die on me. No shaking or belching of smoke--yet! It takes two or three starts to keep running. It also seems to be using a little more gas than usual. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Old 06-17-2009, 05:06 PM
cel on? is it maf or speed density? clean your maf if your truck is maf. the oil from the K&N can get on it and cause it to show false readings and it'll cause some issues. how olds the fuel filter?

Old 06-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Hey Matt, I don't recall the cel being on, and it is maf. It's connected to the fipk. The K&N website takes exception to the "urban myth" that their oil dirties up the maf. I'll have to get some CRC maf cleaner at Autozone soon(very soon!!) and go that route first. Mafs are not cheap!! Also, the fuel filter was replaced at 89,700 miles. And what about the possibility of the fuel pump relay?? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by earnedit3
Hey Matt, I don't recall the cel being on, and it is maf. It's connected to the fipk. The K&N website takes exception to the "urban myth" that their oil dirties up the maf. I'll have to get some CRC maf cleaner at Autozone soon(very soon!!) and go that route first. Mafs are not cheap!! Also, the fuel filter was replaced at 89,700 miles. And what about the possibility of the fuel pump relay?? Thanks in advance.
ok change that fuel filter while your at it. with almost 40000 miles on it i bet its causing some of the problem as well. the fuel pump relay is most likely fine. if the pump runs then its working. it usually works or it doesnt, they dont normally cause intermittant problems(except there has been a cases on here that it frose sometimes in the winter).

Old 06-19-2009, 11:16 PM
Hey Matt thanks for the tip. Got some CRC MAF cleaner at Autozone yesterday. Not a very big hole to shoot the spray into, but seemed to clean it out. Idling better and gas usage seems to be down. Now I see I have a 1"x2" gash in my K&N air filter from the original air filter housing bracket vibrating through the filter. You get one problem solved and another one crops up. Got the bracket bent down but the damage is done, so that may be where some of the dirty air is coming in at. Thanks again.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by earnedit3
Hey Matt thanks for the tip. Got some CRC MAF cleaner at Autozone yesterday. Not a very big hole to shoot the spray into, but seemed to clean it out. Idling better and gas usage seems to be down. Now I see I have a 1"x2" gash in my K&N air filter from the original air filter housing bracket vibrating through the filter. You get one problem solved and another one crops up. Got the bracket bent down but the damage is done, so that may be where some of the dirty air is coming in at. Thanks again.
your welcome. and my K&N intake is having the exact same problem with the old air box brackets. i have about a 1/4" hole in mine. i think i'm just gonna get an aem filter(dry filter and i think a little bit shorter) and make an actual box for it one of these days.

Quick Reply: Starting problems