Pre-1997 Models

Windshield wiper not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 03:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield wiper not working

I have an '81 F-150 and the driver's side windshield works just fine, but the passenger side doesn't. I suspect the arm going from the motor to the wiper blade has come off, but I can't see how I can get to it to re-attach it. Anybody know how?

Old 05-26-2009, 04:50 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Moved this tread from the GD forum. Maybe you will get some help here.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:12 PM
i dont know about your 81. but on my 93 i'm pretty sure you have to take the cowl off to gain access to the wiper linkage.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:16 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Pull the lower w/s trim, the wiper arms, then the rear hood seal & the rest of the screws along the front of the wiper valance, and the screws recessed in the back edge of the valance. It may also be necessary to loosen the hood hinges for enough clearance to lift the valance out.

There should be a special spring clip on the tip of the motor shaft holding both pushrods on, but it's known to rust away. The pivot bushings in the pushrods are also known to degrade, but you can swap in a wipershaft/pushrod assembly from as late as '96 ('97 over 8500 GVWR).

Old 06-01-2009, 06:58 AM
Originally Posted by Steve83
Pull the lower w/s trim, the wiper arms, then the rear hood seal & the rest of the screws along the front of the wiper valance, and the screws recessed in the back edge of the valance. It may also be necessary to loosen the hood hinges for enough clearance to lift the valance out.

There should be a special spring clip on the tip of the motor shaft holding both pushrods on, but it's known to rust away. The pivot bushings in the pushrods are also known to degrade, but you can swap in a wipershaft/pushrod assembly from as late as '96 ('97 over 8500 GVWR).
Thanks for all the help fellows. Tomorrow I am going to see what I can do to get her working again. Thanks for all the help and advice.

Quick Reply: Windshield wiper not working