Pre-1997 Models

Hey, question on a specific engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, question on a specific engine swap

Hi there, I was on here a while back asking about a 302 EFI to 351 Carbed swap... Firstly thank you for all of the info then!

Now, Ive decided to go a different route instead.

I have a 1986 F150 4x4 with a built AOD. When i bought the truck, it had a bored 302HO installed by its previous owner (i presume it is an HO, since it was a roller block). Well, I blew a piston on the 302, and I decided to go with a 351.

I found a good deal on a complete (efi, exhaust manifolds and all) 351 EFI out of a 1991 Bronco with an E4OD. Here are my questions:

1. would I have to find a computer for an EFI 351 with a standard transmission, since i have an AOD, or can the 302 computer run it? (or even the 351 comp.)

2. is the throttle body on the 351 the same as the 302? that way i can just switch the AOD tv cable setup and all?

3. will i need a different torque converter? the flexplate comes with the new engine, so thats not a problem

4. is there anything else i need to watch out for?

Thanks a lot! im looking forward to your responses

Old 05-25-2009, 01:40 PM
The T/B is the same.
As for the PCM, you cannot use the 351 PCM since it is going to be looking for the E4OD and won't find it. The 302 PCM should work but may not work very well. You may need to get it re-flashed. You are going to need wiring diagrams or preferably EVTMs from both vehicles to compare the pinouts in the harnesses. You may have some re-wiring to do.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:19 PM
ok, so what if i were to use the PCM from a 351 with a manual transmission? and if i were to have the comp. from my 302 reflashed, where would i have that done? in case there is rewiring to do, is there anyplace online i can get the diagrams?

and also, will i have to get a new TC? i already know of the flexplate difference

thanks

Quick Reply: Hey, question on a specific engine swap