Pre-1997 Models

Is it worth buying this 1993 F-150? Rear end work!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it worth buying this 1993 F-150? Rear end work!

I'm looking for a mid 90's F 150 because I love them. Had one as a teen and haven't been the same since I upgraded to the 98. In fact I got rid of it after it exploded. I found a 1993 F-150 with a 5.0 manual trans 4x4 with 6in. Pro Comp lift, quad shocks and stabalizer up front. Performance exhaust and new 35in Tires. Also has brand new clutch and brand new brakes. The truck has 194,000 miles and is Extremely Clean. It's everything I want except the guy blew out the rear gears and won't open it up do to not knowing how to turn wrenches to look to see if it's just gears or the axles too. He said it blew, and he immediatly had it towed home. He wants $2,400 for it. Also it's about a 200 mile round trip which I wouldn't mind if I could just test drive it, but he wont fix it due to money and time. So I would have to buy the truck, tow it down for a couple hundred dollars more and then replace what he says is just the gears, or possibly the entire rear end. It's almost worth it for me, but that may be due to my blindness of wanting one, and not finding anything else. Everything else is thousands more with similar miles. I think it's a good deal, but I'd like some mature reasonable opinions from some of you. How would you go about doing it. If it is just the gears I think the truck is a steal considering the condition and upgrades. I know the 5.0 in and out too. IS IT WORTH THE HASSLE AND RISK????? All in all it should be around 3grand or less and I'd have the truck I want. Also did the 93's come with the 5.0's stock or just the 5.8s?

Thanks for reading through this. Dan

Old 05-10-2009, 10:46 AM
If you can do the rear end work yourself, then go for it. If you're going to have to pay a shop to set it up get a quote before you decide. Assume new ring & pinion, carrier and bearings. It's unlikely that the axles are damaged and junkyard replacements are readily available if need be.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:58 AM
If that truck has a manual transmission stock it came with a 5.0 stock.

It may be easier to just find a junkyard axle and swap the entire unit in. Did he have the truck regeared to match the larger tires?

I would offer him $2,000 and explain to him the extra money you will have caught up in this project.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:30 AM
I'd try to fins out that means by "blew" the rear end. I thought I blew my rear end in my old 96 and found out it was just the spider gears. I fairley easy fix. But if you spoder gears, ring and pinion it could get a fair bit pricy. I'd find out more info and look for a junkyard rear end

Quick Reply: Is it worth buying this 1993 F-150? Rear end work!