Pre-1997 Models

larger air meter? For 94-96 F150

Old 04-14-2009, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
larger air meter? For 94-96 F150

I want to swap on a larger air-meter on my 96 F150. What are y'all doing for larger air meters? I can get a stock 80mm off a 97 32valve 4.6 Continential, cheap, but how would I mount it to my stock air box?

Old 04-15-2009, 10:46 AM
Machine up an adaptor plate out of 1" aluminum with both the mounting patterns and a conical bore to match the meter and the airbox. Then you need to make an adaptor to go from the meter to the intake hose.

What other mods have you done to justify a larger meter? Simply bolting on a larger meter is not going to produce more HP. You make more HP by getting the engine to consume more air which in turn requires the EFI system to supply more fuel. The larger meter becomes useful only if your air consumption exceeds the design parameters for the stock meter. If the engine has been modified to the point where it needs more fuel than the stock injectors can supply, then larger injectors will be required. On a stock engine larger injectors are as useless as a bigger meter. Remember that any meter you use has to be calibrated to match the injectors which you are using.

FWIW most measuring devices have a specific range in which they exhibit peak accuracy. At stock airflows, a larger meter might be outside of that range.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:13 AM
Soon to be installed is a 351W with GT40P heads, headers, GT40 intake, Mustang HO cam, 1.7 cobra rockers, and 4.10 gears. It will be getting tuned as well. I am just wanting to make sure that the air meter is not going to be a restriction. I am aware the reasons for not wanting to big of a meter, I am trying to find out what other people are using.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: larger air meter? For 94-96 F150