Pre-1997 Models

WTF is going on now?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 05:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTF is going on now?

Help! I don't know if this is something to be really worried about, or mildly concerned, but here's what's happening with my '88 XLT Lariat. For one, the defroster doesn't. Just fogs up my windows worse than they were. Also noticed a thin film of something on the windscreen. But that's not the unsettling part. Yesterday, as I'm driving, I see... smoke? Some sot of vapour was wafting from the vents. Didn't smell like electronics or wiring going super-crispy, so I'm wondering if perhaps something in the heater core didn't crap out? If anyone has suggestions, please let me know. Last thing I want is to be driving a car-becue!

Old 03-18-2009, 06:35 AM
Does the smoke smell like anti-freeze?
Everything points to the heater core.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:44 PM
That's going to be your heater core. I had the same problem. Easy one - took me 15 minutes to replace it. -Al

Old 03-19-2009, 03:09 PM
It probably IS the heater core, however, if you didn't have the heat on and your A/C works it could be a be that the air box drain hose is clogged causing the air box to fill with condensate. If that's the case run a wire coat hanger up into the hose from under the truck.
Kenny

Old 03-21-2009, 03:12 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Old 03-21-2009, 10:19 PM
Heater core leak!

Old 03-30-2009, 12:30 AM
Ok... now there's a new issue. Driving in to work, I pull up to a stop light and... *poof* truck dies. Takes forever to get her fired back up. Does this twice. Finally get to work and whatnot. Coming home tonight, the heater core is leaking worse than ever (after stopping a few days go), she lurches a couple of times, then dies. Finally get her fired back up (after a bit of time), pull into gas station, and sit for a while... also decide to top off coolant to get me the remaining 3 miles to home. Anyway, she finally decided to light off, but when I went for the gas... she acted like she was bogging down. No kick-down, and very sluggish on the acceleration. Should I just put a round through the block and think about a complete motor swap, or try to salvage this beeyotch? Check Engine light also popped on, but it's been flickering off and on for a while now.

Quick Reply: WTF is going on now?