Pre-1997 Models

gas tank pressurizing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gas tank pressurizing?

i have a 96 x-cab f-150, noticed after a drive today that my front filler neck area was leaking...checked it out and noticed that its coming from the cap area...when i tried to take the cap off i got alot of hissing and the gas really started to leak...

went to check the rear tank and got the same hissing but no leak

i dont use the front tank (pump bad) but i do use the rear

any help or direction would be great...thanks

Old 01-22-2009, 07:12 PM
Has the fuel level dropped in the rear tank, but went up in the front tank? If so, the rear pump is filling the front tank due to a bad check valve in the front tank fuel pump.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by bigbronc
Has the fuel level dropped in the rear tank, but went up in the front tank? If so, the rear pump is filling the front tank due to a bad check valve in the front tank fuel pump.
yep, just went and checked....the front tank (which i havent used in a year) is completely full....

what exactly do i need to do to correct this problem...thanks

Old 01-22-2009, 08:57 PM
There was an old recall that placed check valves on the fuel pumps to stop this. Can't remember the number for the recall. You could try and call a Ford dealer and see if someone in parts remembers the part numbers. I can try and research it a little. But, if you replace the front tank fuel pump with a new one from Ford, it will have an updated check valve installed in the pump. They are a little pricey, though. I would try and find the valves first. They have to go on both pumps.

Quick Reply: gas tank pressurizing?