Pre-1997 Models

Engine swap to an 83

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine swap to an 83

I was wondering if I could swap a 351W EFI from a 88 Econline into my old 83 f-150, I have a 351W in there now but it's completely worn out. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:59 AM
No problem, but I would retain the carb instead of trying to use the EFI unless you know what you're in for. Fuel system upgrades, wiring, pcm, etc. The basic engine is the same.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:00 AM
Ok, it has a dual fuel carb... I kinda wanted to get rid of that with out buying another carb. I imagine I could find one for cheap.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:46 AM
Is it a 2 or 4 barrel? If it is a 2, you can replace it with a regular Motorcraft 2 barrel from almost any older engine. If it is a 4 barrel, put a Holley 600 on it. Wait, do you mean the variable venturi? If so, you may have an early EEC 3 system. Which means you also need to install a Duraspark distributor and Duraspark ignition module that bolts to the fender. This will be better in the long run anyway, due to the fact that the EEC 3 system had many problems. Let me know if you need more info.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by bigbronc
Is it a 2 or 4 barrel? If it is a 2, you can replace it with a regular Motorcraft 2 barrel from almost any older engine. If it is a 4 barrel, put a Holley 600 on it. Wait, do you mean the variable venturi? If so, you may have an early EEC 3 system. Which means you also need to install a Duraspark distributor and Duraspark ignition module that bolts to the fender. This will be better in the long run anyway, due to the fact that the EEC 3 system had many problems. Let me know if you need more info.
I'm learning what I can because I'll be doing this in the summer, I'm not too sure about the carb it self... I pull a cable and it switches between fuel... I'm gonna stick my neck out and say that it's two barrel. I'm not looking performance at all, I need to repair my truck for next winter time so I have one in case I need it running... My S197 is too little to do anything usefull except get groceries and well women...

Quick Reply: Engine swap to an 83