Pre-1997 Models

dead ford

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy dead ford

bought an 88 ford. it was working fine then i noticed trouble switching from 1st, brought it to a transmission shop and the mechanic took it for a test drive to diagnose the issue. He came back and said that the heads of some pins had corroded but this was fixable but the truck had run out of gas. We got new gas and brought it to the truck but no go - the truck wouldn't start
(you could hear the fuel pump and the lights still worked so the battery wasn't dead). had the beast towed to another garage where it has remained in the parking lot for the last 6 weeks. They say (upon my prying) they don't know what is wrong with it and have been waiting for someome to come and check the electrical. Is that it? what could it be, they don't seem to have any answers. Could it just be a clogged fuel filter? may the ignition switch have shorted, could it be the module? is this a common problem?...

Old 01-10-2009, 10:13 PM
how much fuel pressure at the rail? does it have spark? hows compression? check the basics. it could be a clogged fuel filter.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would check for spark first. It's very common for the ignition module to go dead on this vintage of Fords.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Well first off let us know something about your abilities to work on the truck and if you have a test light and know how to use one. Also are you going to be able to get the truck back and work on it your self?

Originally Posted by i_like_to_bike
bought an 88 ford. it was working fine then i noticed trouble switching from 1st, brought it to a transmission shop and the mechanic took it for a test drive to diagnose the issue. He came back and said that the heads of some pins had corroded but this was fixable but the truck had run out of gas.
1988 auto transmission so more than likely you have the AOD transmission. The is a non-computer controlled transmission so I do not know why he said what he did. There are no " heads of some pins" that would control the transmission shifting.

We got new gas and brought it to the truck but no go - the truck wouldn't start
(you could hear the fuel pump and the lights still worked so the battery wasn't dead).
So the fuel pumps run when the key is turned on but do they stop after one second if you just leave the key on and do try to start it?
Very important that we know this.

The pumps running tells us that the fuel pump and power relays are OK
But we need to know if the pump inside the selected tank is running also when the frame pump is running.

had the beast towed to another garage where it has remained in the parking lot for the last 6 weeks. They say (upon my prying) they don't know what is wrong with it and have been waiting for someome to come and check the electrical. Is that it?
The electrical for the frame fuel pump would be OK but we do not know about the electrical at the distributor, for the in tank pump or the computer itself.

what could it be, they don't seem to have any answers. Could it just be a clogged fuel filter?
Yes

may the ignition switch have shorted,
No, you have power to the EEC Power relay and the Fuel Pump Relays so you have power coming from the Ignition Switch.

could it be the module?
Yes the TFI Ignition module could be bad or the computer.

is this a common problem?...
Yes, the TFI module goes out often. The in tank pump can go bad or it has a hose that can become unhooked in the tank. Do you have two tanks?

As others above have said we need to know if you have spark and if not do you have spark if the computer is unplugged? Do the fuel pumps run for one second and then stop as asked above? Does the in tank pump run? Do you have fuel pressure at the fuel rail?

Old 01-15-2009, 09:49 PM
If the fuel pump is still buzzing, maybe there isn't a suffient amount to reprime.

Quick Reply: dead ford