Pre-1997 Models

Ignition switch troubles

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition switch troubles

I have an '88 F-150 5-speed. My ignition switch has self-destructed and now won't start the truck. The positions are wrong. Turning the key to the 'start' position now only turns the truck on, and I can't turn the key any farther to actually start the truck. It seems to have lots of slop between 'off' and 'on' positions. I pulled the ignition key/tumbler assembly out using the little hidden button under the switch. The problem seems to be in the steering column itself, which looks like a real job. I would really appreciate any info on this if you have a suggestion.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most likely your actuator rod has broken. This connects the key tumbler with the actual ignition switch. You need to take the plastic cowling off from around the steering column to investigate, screws holding the two halves together are accessible from the bottom side. If you plan to replace this your self, I suggest you get a Haynes repair manual and follow their instructions. It is a bit of a tricky job, but if your used to doing this sort of thing you can do it. Most claim it's about a four hour job.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:06 PM
Masseyman is right. You must have a tilt wheel (whether you know it or not). The tilt is the turn signal switch lever. Anyway, the actuator in question is broken. This means that the tilt mechanism has to be partially disassembled to replace. I have put many back together after someone has attempted this repair. My advice is that as long as you can still turn the truck off with the key is to run a button from a 12V source out to the "s" terminal on the starter relay. Then all you do is turn the key to the "on" position and push the button to start. If it is a stick, make sure you have the clutch pushed in. This little "fix" will make it start in gear. When you can no longer turn off the engine, you will have to replace the actuator. Good luck.

Robbie

Old 12-30-2008, 11:20 PM
Thank you both very much for filling me in on this issue. That's terrible news really, I can't believe something so simple would be so complicated. The problem started one night when the truck was parked outside (it's usually in a garage) and it was about five degrees. The ignition gets very sticky and hard to turn when that cold and this time I guess it was just too much for it. The key would not turn far enough to start it so I just turned it on and jumped the starter solinoid with a screwdriver. That works ok just like running a jumper wire, but I'm afraid the switch may break completely and leave me somewhere unable to turn the key 'on'.

Any idea what a dealer might charge for this repair? Four hours X $80 ??

Old 01-02-2009, 03:54 PM
You might want to check to see if the Ignition Switch hold down screws did not come loose and let the switch slide on the column.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Thanks everyone for all the info on this problem, you saved me a 'diagnosis fee'. I bought the actuator rod at O'Reilly auto parts for $15 and my local Ford dealer fixed it for just one hour labor at $77.50. Well worth it to avoid tearing into that column myself.
Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Ignition switch troubles