Pre-1997 Models

ABS-Brake light

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS-Brake light

I did some searching here and did not find any posts that indicated a resolved problem like mine. My ABS and red brake light began to come on occasionally. I replaced the speed sensor and it stopped. Both are now coming on every time I drive it. If I turn the truck off, they go off and may or may not come back on. At times I have noticed a different feel in the pedal when the lights come on.

It seems to be a lot worse with heavy braking or when hauling a load or towing. I have not tried to check for trouble codes. I have not researched enough to know how to pull them. I would appreciate any help.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:40 AM
Kelsey-Hayes RABS

Check the master cylinder fluid level. Check inside that the float is free to move up and down as well.

When both ABS and brake dash lights are illuminated, apply and release the parking brake. If both lights go out replace the diode/resistor.

If they are still both on you need to pull codes.

******When orange ABS light is on solid you need to flashout for codes before shutting off engine.******

Old 12-12-2008, 08:04 AM
Well.. what was it?

Old 12-12-2008, 11:47 PM
Sorry. I haven't got to check on it yet. The fluid level is good and the float seems to be okay. I have tried working the parking brake with no change. Some trips it comes on, others not. It came on when I parked it at work today. My schedule is tough right now and it is not a daily driver. I will have some time off during the next couple of weeks. I will dig into it more then, if not sooner. I also need to check more with my Haynes manual for suggestions on troubleshooting.

Thanks for the help. I will let you know when I get to it.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:30 AM
Update

I pulled codes and it flashed 4. The things I have read indicate that this is a problem with the RABS valve. I would like to verify or rule out other things, since it is a pretty expensive part. I may try a junkyard part.

Any suggestions will be appreciated?

Old 12-22-2008, 09:05 AM
CODE 4:
1) Unplug electrohydraulic connector. Measure resistance between Light Blue/Red wire at the valve and valve body. If resistance is less than 10,000 ohms, replace electrohydraulic valve.
2) If resistance is 10,000 ohms or more, measure resistance between Light Blue/Red wire and Black/White wire at valve. If resistance is 10,000 ohms or less, replace electrohydraulic valve. If resistance is more than 10,000 ohms, disconnect battery.
3) Unplug control module connector. Measure resistance between module connector pin No. 6 and ground. If resistance is 100,000 ohms or more, replace control module. If resistance is less than 100,000 ohms, repair short in Light Blue/Red wire between valve and control module. (pin #6 is 3rd from the left on the bottom when looking at the plug from the connection side)

I hope this helps.

Can you tell I have most of the ABS manuals?

Last edited by Colorado Osprey; 12-22-2008 at 09:12 AM.

Quick Reply: ABS-Brake light