Pre-1997 Models

4R70W gasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4R70W gasket

Anyone ever put a new gasket on? I was out fourwheelin yesterday and when i got back home my tranny was pissin fluid all over my driveway from the gasket, i bought the new gasket tonight (5.50) and was wondering if anybody had any hints before i tackle it in the morning. Thanks

Old 12-06-2008, 07:50 AM
Advise:
Don't use a cork or felt gasket.

Used the OEM FORD gasket only. They are re-usable with a steel insert so you don't over tighten them.

Last hint..... drop cloth of something similar to keep from making a uge mess and don't over tighten the bolts. They are little buggers, you don't need to crank down on them.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:13 PM
i wih i got your reply before i did the gasket, i got a kit from advance auto that came with a rubber gasket and filter, i used both. should i have used the old ford one or bought a new one from the dealer? Also its still leaking! could it be something else

Old 12-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by TJLYZF600
i wih i got your reply before i did the gasket, i got a kit from advance auto that came with a rubber gasket and filter, i used both. should i have used the old ford one or bought a new one from the dealer? Also its still leaking! could it be something else
you sure its the pan gasket? it may be the gasket between the tailshaft housing and the tranny. or it may be the front pump seal.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by Matts ford
you sure its the pan gasket? it may be the gasket between the tailshaft housing and the tranny. or it may be the front pump seal.
yea, its def the pan, i ran it for about 2 miles pulled back in my garage and took a flash light and went under the truck, it has a bodylift so i have a pretty good view of the whole tranny, and not to mention i can see drips coming from the very back of the pan, right above the crossmember that supports the tranny

Old 12-07-2008, 11:06 PM
If you've overtightened the bolts, you can actually bend the pan which guarantees a leak. The torque spec is 9-11 ft-lbs. Do not exceed.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:50 PM
I know i def didn't over tighten them, should i take out the new rubber gasket and put in the factory ford one with the steel insert? i'm already planning on takin the pan back off, checking to see if its level, check the housing for any cracks, and then puttin it back on.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:48 AM
Also should i be puttin any liquid sealer on the gasket? any high temp gasket hold or anything like that?

Old 12-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by TJLYZF600
Also should i be puttin any liquid sealer on the gasket? any high temp gasket hold or anything like that?
nope. just the gasket and bolt on.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:43 PM
ok, so i replaced the gasket. Still it leaks. i found that it is the seal that is right behind the pan, i'm not sure what it is called but i'm doing some research. Anybody have any info on it?

Old 12-13-2008, 09:16 PM
ok, final solution. it was the seal between the extension housing and tranny. just like MattsFord said. I also replaced the pan gasket and transfer case gaskets. I used all ford gaskets, they were only a couple bucks more and they were much better quality than the ones i picked up from AutoZone. Thanks Guys. Next task is going to be the reara main seal in a couple months when it gets warm again. Its got a slow drip, so no rush. Thanks again

Old 12-22-2008, 10:23 AM
WOW!!! Same problem

Have the same problem here. Done the pan gasket twice now and still leaking. Looks to be the pan as it leaks from the back under the cross member, but I really think its the tranny tail extension gasket.

Any info you got, i need. Part numbers....... how long did it take? Mine is 4x4. was it painfull to do? I'm pretty handy and have lots of tools.

The clue to mine was no pan leaks, but when I tightened the tranny mounts down to the cross member it would leak.

Thanks in advance

Old 12-22-2008, 11:35 AM
Its not that hard at all. all you need are some sockets and a friend to help you lift the transfer case in and out(however i put it back in by myself) but to do it
1. take off the nuts that hold the tranny to the crossmember.
2. take out the rear driveshaft and just unbolt the front.
3. drop the transfer case ( It's not as heavy as it looks)
4. Now jack the tranny up from the bell housing using a floor jack and peice of wood so that the bolts on the crossmember are almost out.
5.unbolt the extension housing and remove it.
6. make sure you clean with a razor blade the old gasket and put the new one in, DRY. don't use any gasket sealers, theres no need.
7.rebolt the extension housing
8.lower the tranny back onto the crossmember.
9. while your there, put in a new transfer case gasket, the old one probably came off in two peices anyway.
10. throw in the transfer case and driveshafts and your done.
Took me about 3 hours, go to a ford dealer and use there gaskets, i looked at both theirs and the autostore ones and the ford ones are much nicer. Good Luck and let me know how it went. if you need send me your e-mail address, Subford emailed me some useful diagrams and stuff.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:59 PM
I'll take what you got. watsonr@***.net and thanks in advance for the help. I'll tackle the job on Saturday. Did Ford have the part in stock or did you have to order them?
Randy

Old 12-23-2008, 10:58 PM
they had all the gaskets in stock, i'll send the diagrams your way

Quick Reply: 4R70W gasket