Pre-1997 Models

Whats Wrong With My Brakes ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats Wrong With My Brakes ?

Ok, it rained all day yesterday, so after work as I'm leaving the parking lot I notice it takes nothing to lock my brakes up, like my rear tires just start skidding easy. It got a little better as I braked more. But it did it in my driveway this morning. (wet out) My dad says he can remeber his old truck doing that when it was wet until you drove it a bit and got it warmed (dried the brakes by using them )

So is this normal ?

Old 11-16-2008, 12:13 PM
It is not normal.
Your RABS seems to be malfunctioning.
If this is on the '97 truck in your signature, there are probably some differences in the braking systems between it and our pre-'97s. Try posting in the appropriate forum. either "Brakes' or "97-2003"

If the truck is a pre-97, start by inspecting the braking system: fluid level, condition of the rear drums and shoes and hardware, wheel cylinders, rear axle seals. etc. Rule out the obvious stuff first.

Are you getting a brake warning light?

Old 11-16-2008, 03:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah....same thing happened to me the other night when it rained. It freaked me out. I barely even touched them and I got thrown forward.

They're fine now...so I'm chalking this up to "normal".

Old 11-16-2008, 03:39 PM
my truck pretty much does the same thing everytime it rains. i've never locked up the tires but the truck seems to want to throw me through the windshield when i brake at slow speeds. it straightens out after i get out of the driveway and drive for about a mile if that. i've always considered it normal.
strangeranger he has a 92 f150 300 inline

Old 11-16-2008, 05:43 PM
For some reason the site reset my signature, I now have a 92 4x4 with a straight six. I drove out to get gas tonight and it did it again, but was fine after I drove a little. I'm not big on it since the weather is really bad so it's kind of a safety hazard but I'll just have to heat up my brakes best I can in the driveway on my way out I guess...

Same thing saint said, you just tap them and it's like BAM and you skid.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Mentioned it to a coworker today, he has a 97 or something like that ram 2500 with the V10 and he says his truck does the same thing, it's a mystery.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:20 PM
Is it possible that the calipers exposure to water while distended (foot on brake while changing gear positions) might create an increased condition of lubricity temporarily till brake temp and a few applications of the brake restores normal braking continuity or how about pads absorbing some moisture over surface causing a slight swelling which would grab or maybe even result in a suction effect when applied w/ wheels slowly rotating. This would also disape3ar w/ the heat of a few applications. Could be compounded by poor caliper release & retraction. I'm guessing it has most to do w/ condition of the disk and more likely to occur towards the end of a disks life (thinner) and calipers are required to extend farther for contact. Then toss in how easy cold tires loose traction on wet pavement, especially with road oil absorbed into surface rubber and floating up to the surface of the pavement.

Last edited by ymeski; 11-22-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:26 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
my sisters 2000 camry 4cyl, has done this since new (rear drums)

Quick Reply: Whats Wrong With My Brakes ?