Pre-1997 Models

Engine Control Module corrosion

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Control Module corrosion

So searching for the reason my 86 f150 is losing battery charge i pulled off the connection to the ECM and found corrosion on the tips of the male end of the connectors. I have since taken an old toothbrush in there and cleaned them off. Would this cause a slow drain on a battery?

During my search for a short I found that it was not related to any fuses being pulled but noticed some power being taken from a brown to yellow fusible link that went from the starter relay at the same place the positive cable connects to god knows where. I looked at a wiring diagram on autozone's website and it showed no such wire. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 11-08-2008, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by JaseCO
So searching for the reason my 86 f150 is losing battery charge i pulled off the connection to the ECM and found corrosion on the tips of the male end of the connectors. I have since taken an old toothbrush in there and cleaned them off. Would this cause a slow drain on a battery?
No it would not. I take you are talking about the 60 pin computer plug.
During my search for a short I found that it was not related to any fuses being pulled but noticed some power being taken from a brown to yellow fusible link that went from the starter relay at the same place the positive cable connects to god knows where. I looked at a wiring diagram on autozone's website and it showed no such wire. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I do not show a brown wire or fuse link in my diagrams at the starter solenoid.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:42 PM
It is the 60 pin computer plug, thats good to know. And yeah, I'm dumbfounded by the wire, I'll try to take a picture of it tomorrow and post.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:25 PM
It is the 60 pin computer plug, thats good to know. And yeah, I'm dumbfounded by the wire, I'll try to take a picture of it tomorrow and post.
Here is what I have on the 1986 Starter Solenoid wiring:

/

Last edited by subford; 11-08-2008 at 11:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine Control Module corrosion