Pre-1997 Models

Manual transmission problem... need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 12:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual transmission problem... need help!!!

Seems like the correct place to post this.
My 95 F150 5.0, 5 speed, I know it’s a Mazda tranny I just can’t recall the model number (M5od?).
Well she has a big problem...
I can’t put it into gear while the truck is running. The clutch has practically no return pressure until you get it down 1/2 to 3/4 of the way down towards the floor board. Once u get it down that far it feels semi normal. With the clutch pushed all the way in I can force it into 3rd and 4th gear but that’s all I tried I didn’t want to cause more damage to what ever is broken.
I have not tried to drive her; I want to wait to get some knowledgeable advice from the experts on this site...

Ideas on whets causing it?

Thanks for your help... again!!!

Old 11-08-2008, 12:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your CLUTCH master cylinder is low on brake fluid. It has a round cap on it that just unscrews and there is a rubber cup under the cap that must be removed before you add dot 3 brake fluid. It is located just inward of the brake master cylinder. After adding brake fluid you will have to pump the clutch pedal a few times for it to start working normally.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by masseyman
Your CLUTCH master cylinder is low on brake fluid. It has a round cap on it that just unscrews and there is a rubber cup under the cap that must be removed before you add dot 3 brake fluid. It is located just inward of the brake master cylinder. After adding brake fluid you will have to pump the clutch pedal a few times for it to start working normally.
Thanks!
I will take a look around and try to locate it. (I wish I could find my Chiltons CD!) Ill will keep u informed.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Old 11-09-2008, 01:48 AM
if the system is low on fluid most likely a leak,check at firewall under dash and at trans bell housing for fluid(most common leak points)

Old 11-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Finally getting around to update.

First thing I did was add the break fluid... It didnt fix the problem right away, I guess it took a while for it to work its way down the line. Aside from pumping the clutch about a million times I didnt have to do anything else. She is shifting smoother than she has in a long time! Here’s the strand thing... I only added a very small amount of break fluid, id say less than a 1/4 cup. Basically the receptacle you pour the fluid into was empty and all it took was up to the overflow line. Seems like for the problem I was having it would need much more fluid that what I put in.

Well thanks again to everyone who put in on this.. I really appreciate the help!

I havent located the leak yet, I will have more thime this week to try and hunt it down.

Quick Reply: Manual transmission problem... need help!!!