Pre-1997 Models

Off Idle stall

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off Idle stall

'93 F150, 302 EFI, AOD. 114K miles. Engine starts and idles normally. Lately developed what I call an off idle stall. As soon as the accelerator is pressed the engine stalls/quits for an instant then accelerates and runs normally. I checked the 'puter and there are no codes. I cleaned the IAC and no difference. Possible the TPS has a dead spot?? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks 'Mo

Old 11-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Check air filter for flow restriction. Check plugs condition (includ. gaping tendency to increase w/ useage) Could be TPS related but multiple occurrences should cough up a TPS out of range code. Personally I'de do a tune up w/ the bells & whistles. That's the kind of tune up your mother thew you out before she ever told you about. which in addition to new plugs, wires, Brass cap n' rotor includes removing & clean air passage to restore full flow & check integrity of actuator diaphragm. Administer 1 can of Seafoam: 2/3 can poured into power booster Vac line at idle & norm. op. temp. as quick as possible w/o completely stalling then turn off also quickly. Sometime before you restart the engine after sitting for fifteen minutes, pour the 1/3 left into the gas tank. Do this in a reeeeeeally well ventilated area(like JPL's wind tunnel, cranked up to maybe just under the velocity that duct tape tensile strength failure becomes eminent. Restart and rev repeatedly until smoke clears. And finally, remove o2 sensor , douching insides of probe head generously & reinstall. I also do The bell & whistle stuff prior to oil changes and the results have always been well worth the extra effort.(SEAFOAM Iis rated safe for o2's & Cats!/works great cleaning injectors /combustion chamber surfaces AND fun to use!!!)

Last edited by ymeski; 11-04-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by ymeski
Check air filter for flow restriction. Check plugs condition (includ. gaping tendency to increase w/ useage) Could be TPS related but multiple occurrences should cough up a TPS out of range code. Personally I'de do a tune up w/ the bells & whistles. That's the kind of tune up your mother thew you out before she ever told you about. which in addition to new plugs, wires, Brass cap n' rotor includes removing & clean air passage to restore full flow & check integrity of actuator diaphragm. Administer 1 can of Seafoam: 2/3 can poured into power booster Vac line at idle & norm. op. temp. as quick as possible w/o completely stalling then turn off also quickly. Sometime before you restart the engine after sitting for fifteen minutes, pour the 1/3 left into the gas tank. Do this in a reeeeeeally well ventilated area(like JPL's wind tunnel, cranked up to maybe just under the velocity that duct tape tensile strength failure becomes eminent. Restart and rev repeatedly until smoke clears. And finally, remove o2 sensor , douching insides of probe head generously & reinstall. I also do The bell & whistle stuff prior to oil changes and the results have always been well worth the extra effort.(SEAFOAM Iis rated safe for o2's & Cats!/works great cleaning injectors /combustion chamber surfaces AND fun to use!!!)
Did all that! Still got the dead spot!! No codes. Think I'll set it on fire!!!

Old 11-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by hornet41
Did all that! Still got the dead spot!! No codes. Think I'll set it on fire!!!
Have you checked the timing with a timing light, the SPOUT out and set it to 10* BTDC?

Old 11-12-2008, 06:44 AM
Originally Posted by subford
Have you checked the timing with a timing light, the SPOUT out and set it to 10* BTDC?
Haven't done that. I'm willing to try anything short of taking it to a shop!!

Quick Reply: Off Idle stall