Pre-1997 Models

Lift ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift ?

I have a 1990 ford f-150 2wd and i would like to lift it but dont know if i should would you? Does anyone have any pics of their lifted pre 97 trucks? What would be a good lift system for it?

Old 10-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Why would you want to lift a 2wd truck? The original purpose of lifts was to improve off-road ability, and everyone knows that 2wd trucks off pavement are worthless.

I guess if you wanted to for looks, you would also have to use a leveling kit to compensate for the "bulldog" stance of 2wd.

Google it, kits are widely available and for a true lift (not a pretend body lift) it will run you somewhere around a grand, assuming you DIY.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by RaWarrior
Why would you want to lift a 2wd truck? The original purpose of lifts was to improve off-road ability, and everyone knows that 2wd trucks off pavement are worthless.

I guess if you wanted to for looks, you would also have to use a leveling kit to compensate for the "bulldog" stance of 2wd.

Google it, kits are widely available and for a true lift (not a pretend body lift) it will run you somewhere around a grand, assuming you DIY.
What a stupid post. Most desert racing trucks are 2wd. Prerunners with long travel from suspensions. The travel some of those trucks get would be impossible with 4wd since axle shafts and front driveshafts can't make the travel. Know your info before you make yourself sound ignorant.

There are plenty of kits available for your truck Fordrunner. The 80-96 TIB front end is almost identical to the TTB front end. Most big name companies make lifts for the 2wd trucks. Some make the long travel kits as well.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:45 AM
Suspended
lakemarykid has a lifted body style like yours. i believe its 4x4 tho but still will give you an idea. and yes lift your 2wd. don't listen to rawarrior.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:26 AM
lakemarykid has the body style after his. his a 1990 f150. lakemarykid has a 92-96 body style.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:47 PM
Lifts are the same for any truck from 80-96...

Old 10-27-2008, 12:27 PM
A 4" lift and some 33's would look nice!! Superlift makes a kit for your truck, but I believe with almost any kit you still need to buy a drop pitman arm, shocks, brake lines, etc. Just and FYI. If you like the looks of it, then go for it. I have seen plenty of 2WD trucks off road. You would be surprised at how much a locker in the rearend will help out in off road situations, even in a 2WD

Old 10-27-2008, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by GTRider245
Lifts are the same for any truck from 80-96...
but they look a little bit different different between the body styles, and cab lengths.

fordrunner- are you looking to go offroading, or just for looks? not that it really matters but i just want to know.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:33 AM
Originally Posted by cowboy63645
A 4" lift and some 33's would look nice!! Superlift makes a kit for your truck, but I believe with almost any kit you still need to buy a drop pitman arm, shocks, brake lines, etc. Just and FYI. If you like the looks of it, then go for it. I have seen plenty of 2WD trucks off road. You would be surprised at how much a locker in the rearend will help out in off road situations, even in a 2WD
Brake lines can be stretched with a 4 inch kit. Pretty much required with a 6 inch. All the others you mentioned you gotta have with either kit.

A locked 2wd truck will out wheel a open diff f/r 4wd 90 percent of the time.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:19 PM
Would you agree there's a bit of a difference between stock f-150's and desert racers? A bit as in not even remotely close to the same thing? What a stupid comparison. And I doubt most f-150 owners drive their trucks at high speeds through rough desert terrain

Guess I should have said "stock f-150's" instead of "trucks" in general are worthless off road in a 2wd setup. My apologies.

If you like the lifted look, then go right ahead, I just can't see the point in spending a lot of money just for looks. My 2wd F-150 had difficulty in an inch or two of snow, and couldn't get up a moderately steep dirt road near my house, and that's with 500lbs of blocks in the bed. It would be stuck long before it got in deep enough to start dragging the frame.

If you never plan to use it in snow/mud/whatever and just want the look then fine, just don't think it's going to make it more capable off road. Unless of course you want fly through the desert raceways, but you'll have bigger issues then.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:42 AM
I mainly want it for street looks im gettin a 4X4 soon i hope a newer f150 wil be coming for me im looking into putting a locker into this one also

Old 10-30-2008, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by RaWarrior
Would you agree there's a bit of a difference between stock f-150's and desert racers? A bit as in not even remotely close to the same thing? What a stupid comparison. And I doubt most f-150 owners drive their trucks at high speeds through rough desert terrain

Guess I should have said "stock f-150's" instead of "trucks" in general are worthless off road in a 2wd setup. My apologies.

If you like the lifted look, then go right ahead, I just can't see the point in spending a lot of money just for looks. My 2wd F-150 had difficulty in an inch or two of snow, and couldn't get up a moderately steep dirt road near my house, and that's with 500lbs of blocks in the bed. It would be stuck long before it got in deep enough to start dragging the frame.

If you never plan to use it in snow/mud/whatever and just want the look then fine, just don't think it's going to make it more capable off road. Unless of course you want fly through the desert raceways, but you'll have bigger issues then.
As far as being worthless offroad, read the last line of my above post.

Quick Reply: Lift ?