Pre-1997 Models

Can't remove fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't remove fuel filter

This is a 1992 F150 with 250k miles on it. Not sure how many miles on the filter.
The fitting will slide toward and away from the filter, but not side to side. I am using the appropriate tools and I have read all the posts about this from the last 3 years.
I am following these instructions: http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/...y/media/497461, but no luck. Any ideas?

Old 09-23-2008, 09:13 PM
Not many have any luck using the scissor. If that is what you are using that may be your problem. They do not seam to go in far enough to release the spring.
Try something like this:

/

Old 09-26-2008, 10:53 PM
I did get the OEM tools. I still couldn't get the filter off. I took the truck to Jiffy Lube. They could get the outlet off, but not the inlet. It's worth a try if you are having a similar problem, they spent 40 minutes trying, but did not charge me since they couldn't change the filter.
I tried again, and was able to remove the outlet, but not the inlet. At this point, I decided to saw off the inlet tube in hopes that I could swing the inlet tube and fitting down and away from the gas tank for better access.

I still could not get the tool all the way in and release the inlet tube. Next I tried extracting the retaining clip from inside the fitting with various devices, bent nails, etc. I did not have a small pick tool as described here: http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/...y/media/497461
I was finally able to peel the clip away from the top edge of the fitting with a small pocket knife blade. The tube then came right out. Here are the pieces of the retaining clip.

I bought these replacement retaining clips from Autozone and will finish the job after work tomorrow.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:00 PM
i had the same problem the second time i changed my fuel filter. i ended up bending the retainer in the inlet end because half the filter was behind the fuel tank. i ended up taking a pick and pulled part of the retainer out and cut it up and twisted it out and now i'm just running without it in the inlet end. i just have the safety lock on the inlet and the retainer and safety lock on the outlet end.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:08 AM
I posted a set of instructions with pics a couple years ago, should still be here.

Checked, here it is.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:25 AM
Originally Posted by Matts ford
i had the same problem the second time i changed my fuel filter. i ended up bending the retainer in the inlet end because half the filter was behind the fuel tank. i ended up taking a pick and pulled part of the retainer out and cut it up and twisted it out and now i'm just running without it in the inlet end. i just have the safety lock on the inlet and the retainer and safety lock on the outlet end.
I had to do the same thing one time some one else pulled the line without releasing the retainer. Photo below.

These are available at most auto parts store, I know our Car Quest sells them.

/

Last edited by subford; 09-27-2008 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:33 PM
thats pretty much how mine ended up looking like when i got done with it except mine was in like 3 pieces. i was just in a hurry and pulled the filter out of the holder and tried to move it so i could get the tool on it and sure enough.... it bent the tabs. i had to cut the inlet end of the filter to be able to stick the pick in the line then when i was able to get a pair of cuttingpliers on it i did and twisted it out as i cut it. i just said screw it and never put a new retainer in it. worst part is i new it was going to happen, i just got in too much of a hurry.

Quick Reply: Can't remove fuel filter