Pre-1997 Models

8.8 Rear End

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8.8 Rear End

Hey, sorry for the noob question, but I am changing my rear end oil, and my housing has no fill plug. I assume I can fill it through the rear break sensor, but how do I know when its full? Also, how do I determine if I have limited slip?

Thanks.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:09 AM
getting ready to go to work, so i cant answer the limited slip question with any more info than this...look on the rear end housing and there should be a metal tag with all the info stamped on it....what gear ratio's, whether limited slip...etc. You can also check the drivers door sticker for the axel code and do a google search...that's what i did, but dont remember the site right off the top of my head.

As for the fill plug, mine was on the front of the axel housing (slightly up and right of the center) ...towards the engine. Just take a regular ratchet to undo it.

If no one else answers, I'll try to go into more detail on the limited slip question when i get home tonight.

mark

Old 07-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Thanks

Appreciate that information, found it, and tag says no limited slip.

Thanks.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:39 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Door jam sticker axle code. If starts with a 1, not limited slip, if starts with a letter, usually H, limited slip.

The fill plug is upper right of the pinion and fill to that level.

Adrianspeeder

Old 08-01-2008, 08:19 AM
FYI, a quick way to tell if an axle is limited slip is to jack it up and spin one of the wheels. If the other wheel spins the same direction as the first, it's limited slip. If the other wheel spins the opposite direction, it's an open differential.

This is a real quick way to check if a differential that is supposed to be limited slip is working properly.

Quick Reply: 8.8 Rear End