Pre-1997 Models

trouble codes

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trouble codes

I'm getting 63, 26, and 32 codes KOER

1995 F-150 x-cab long bed 4x4 5.8L AOD 192,000 miles

Pulled the TB this evening, cleaned it up and replaced TPS nad TB gasket, set to 1v. Replaced the IACV not too long ago. Replaced the EGR position sensor today as well.

I'm seeing different definitions of the codes from my Haynes manual to sites on the net. One code is supposed to be MAF sensor, don't see a MAF sensor on this truck.

One shows low TPS voltage but it's set to 1v.

Any ideas appreciated

Old 07-30-2008, 11:12 AM
I was hoping someone would answer this, I know i saw them listed somewhere...but my airbag light started flashing code 32 last night and i looked it up but it didn't make any sense to me either.

mark

Old 07-30-2008, 12:58 PM
32 Driver-Side Air Bag Circuit - High Resistance or Open

Is that what you found? Maybe it's just a fuse if circuit is open

Old 07-31-2008, 12:36 AM
haven't had a chance to look at my truck yet, that would make sense though. I couldn't actually find the airbag codes.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:03 AM
I have the same frustrations

I have a 94 F150 that has the airbag light flashing code 32. I have read some older posts that state the problem is the slider contact under the steering column. My horn and cruise control has (as of now)still works.
My problem is in addition to that the off light for the overdrive blinks on and off at a steady pace (sometimes). The overdrive works and can be turned on and off as you want.
The other is sporatically the speedodometer/odometer works great sometimes and other times not at all. (like it has it's own mind).
Please Help me.
paparobert1

Old 11-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Sounds like you may have a VSS sensor problem in the rear end.
You should read your codes and see what there are.
To check your codes go to one of these links below:

This is good for the KOEO test:
http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13

This one is good for the KOER test:
http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=94
OR
http://www.broncodata.com/tech/codes.htm

If you want to practice reading three digit codes with the CEL (MIL) click on this link and read below the video first:
http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...truckcodes.flv

Or get a code reader, here is a good one.
The EQUUS #3145
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...CodeReader.jpg

As far as the Air Bag here is what the shop manual says about the 32 code:

PINPOINT TEST DTC 32: DRIVER SIDE AIR BAG CIRCUIT HIGH RESISTANCE OR OPEN

Normal Operation

NOTE:
The connectors for the air bag diagnostic monitor and the air bag sliding contact have metal spring clips that act as shorting bars. These shorting bars are built into the plastic hardshell connectors. The shorting bars are designed to short Circuits 614 and 615 together when the connectors are not mated. Do not attempt to remove the air bag shorting bar and measure the resistance of the driver side air bag module.

The air bag diagnostic monitor measures the resistance across Pin 10 (Circuit 615, GY/W) and Pin 11 (Circuit 614, GY/O) every time the ignition switch is turned to the RUN position. Normal resistance across these circuits is between 1.5 and 2.0 ohms. This resistance comes from the driver side air bag module (approximately 1.0 ohms) and windings of the air bag sliding contact (approximately 0.25 to 0.5 ohms per winding, two windings in all). If the resistance across these two circuits exceeds 4.0 ohms, this indicates a high resistance and the air bag diagnostic monitor will flash Code 32.

The shorting bar of the air bag sliding contact may be removed to measure the resistance of the air bag sliding contact. Use extreme care when reinstalling the shorting bar to make sure it is installed correctly.

Possible Causes

Excessive resistance across Pins 10 and 11 can be cause by:

1. A poor connection where the air bag sliding contact connects into the main wiring (14401). The air bag sliding contact connector at the base of the steering column may have excessive resistance between the male and female terminals in the connector.

2. An open circuit or high resistance in the windings inside the air bag sliding contact.

3. An open circuit or high resistance in the wiring harness in either Circuit 614 (GY/O) or Circuit 615 (GY/W).

4. An open circuit or high resistance in the driver side air bag module. DO NOT attempt a direct resistance measurement of the driver side air bag module. Follow the diagnostic procedures to determine if the resistance in the driver side air bag module is higher than normal.

Electrical Schematic, Driver Side Air Bag Circuit High Resistance or Open

Last edited by subford; 11-17-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:35 PM
Thank you so very much for this information. I am doing the research at the sights you recommended. Again thank you.
Do you think this is a project that I can do my self. I would much rather do this work my self.
paparobert1

Old 11-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by paparobert1
Thank you so very much for this information. I am doing the research at the sights you recommended. Again thank you.
Do you think this is a project that I can do my self. I would much rather do this work my self.
paparobert1
Make sure you disconnect the battery and do not touch anything for 30 mins before you do anything with the airbag system.

The VSS sensor if you careful you can remove it and wipe the junk off and put it back in and it may work.
Other than that you could have rear-end bearings going out, bad wiring from the rear-end to the dash or a bad PSOM.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Once again I would like to thank you for your responses. I now have an additional problem.
You all have made reference to the VSS sensor in the rear end. I have went to the local auto parts store, purchased the VSS and they and others say this is the only one available and it installs in the tail shaft in the tranny. I have examined the entire transmission and cannot find it. There is a spot on the tailshaft that looks the same configuration as the VSS that I have, but it is blanked off with a white plastic cover and there are no wires or a speedometer cable there.
On the top of the rear end is a sensor, with only wires connected but the local auto parts store says this is for the rear ABS. However I cannot find anythiing in the manuals that I have that can help me.
Can you shed some light on this for me?
Once again, thanks in advance.
paparobert1

Old 11-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Well they are all wrong, the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) on a 1994 F150 is in the the top of the rear end.
Just act like they know what they are talking about and get what they call a ABS sensor. It was called a ABS sensor a few years ago but in 1992 Ford changed the name to DSS (Differential Speed Sensor) and now 1994 Ford calls it a VSS as it now does a lot of things.
Sometimes in the prints Ford just calls it a Rear Axle Sensor.
The signal from the VSS now drives the PSOM (speedometer), ABS system, Speed control and shifts your transmission among other things.

You do not have any speed sensors on your transmission other than maybe an output shaft sensor (OSS).

Not saying yours is bad but if you replace it be careful when you take the old one out or you will break it and the bottom will stay in.

/

Last edited by subford; 11-28-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Once Again I thank you. This forum is fantastic.
I have ordered this sensor.
I will let you know if it fixes it.
paparobert1

Old 12-06-2008, 07:51 PM
I replaced the sensor in the rear end. I disconnected the battery first, replaced the sensor, connected the battery.
Everything seems to work fine now-EXCEPT-
The Speedometer works great up to about 30 mph. After that, it gets real erractic, bouncing up and down. The faster I go, the bigger the range the needle bounces. At approximately 55-60, it will bounce from 35 to 70.
Can you help me again with this one.
Once again, I thank you in advance.
paparobert1

Old 12-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by paparobert1
I replaced the sensor in the rear end. I disconnected the battery first, replaced the sensor, connected the battery.
Everything seems to work fine now-EXCEPT-
The Speedometer works great up to about 30 mph. After that, it gets real erractic, bouncing up and down. The faster I go, the bigger the range the needle bounces. At approximately 55-60, it will bounce from 35 to 70.
Can you help me again with this one.
Once again, I thank you in advance.
paparobert1
It sounds like you may have a problem in the rear end with the tone ring.
Or the wiring under the truck may be messing up when you speed speed.

Have you rechecked your codes?

Last edited by subford; 12-06-2008 at 08:12 PM.

Quick Reply: trouble codes