Pre-1997 Models

Sudden loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sudden loss of power

Modle: F-150 1/2 ton 2wd big 6 cyclinder - love that low gear, she has over 250K and has been maintained very well - I'm a bit stumped
Granted you always need three things - fuel - air - spark, and in constant supply mixed correctly...the problem:
Sudden loss of all power - One moment I"m going along like the last 250K plus miles without problem, next thing she is taking a nose dive and the whole engine shuts down - then she wont start - well its more of a gamble that it will startup (thinking fuel delivery system *scratches head) -which has progressively gotten worse.
Any thoughts? I just need some other heads in on this, My goal is to run her for at least another 500K.

Just so you know:
Compression is good. Runs real strong and well - when running.

Thank you in advance,
rg

Old 07-27-2008, 10:09 PM
What year???

Old 07-28-2008, 10:17 AM
check fuel filter, plugs, all that first and then do a compression leak down test if you dont find anything else. With the leakdown test you can for sure trust that you have good compression.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:03 PM
A fuel filter is certainly a cheap and easy enough place to start. I replaced mine recently and it made a world of difference. It was original at 178k miles. If you can't remember the last time you replaced yours, it certainly won't hurt!

Quick Reply: Sudden loss of power