Pre-1997 Models

starting issues/problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 10:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
starting issues/problems

I have an 87 F150 I-6 that's having some starting problems. I think the battery is ok but other possible problems could be the starter, solenoid, or maybe the ignition switch. The symptoms are groggy turn-over and failure to start after the engine is hot. Not turning the key all the way sometimes gets it to turn over normally, then she starts. Any similar experience? Thanks.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:56 PM
could be the module on the distributor.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Matts ford
could be the module on the distributor.
Would I then experience other problems outside of the mentioned starting issues, e.g., when idling or under throttle?

I know these start problems are hard to pin down, just wondering if others had had the same problem

Old 07-20-2008, 11:05 PM
its really hard to pin down the problem over the computer. but i just got thinking about it and it could actually be the battery because if the cold cranking amps arent high enough then sometimes you will have this issue. i'd have the battery tested and if its bad i just recommend you not get a walmart neverstart battery.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by Matts ford
... it could actually be the battery because if the cold cranking amps arent high enough then sometimes you will have this issue. i'd have the battery tested and if its bad i just recommend you not get a walmart neverstart battery.
Yeah, it would good to have the battery tested to isolate the cause. It IS getting old. Walmart !!! I hear ya on that one ;-)

Old 07-26-2008, 12:53 AM
Verify the battery is good and fully charged. If the problem continues, inspect the battery cables and connections.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:34 AM
Originally Posted by 1/4 scale
I have an 87 F150 I-6 that's having some starting problems. I think the battery is ok but other possible problems could be the starter, solenoid, or maybe the ignition switch. The symptoms are groggy turn-over and failure to start after the engine is hot. Not turning the key all the way sometimes gets it to turn over normally, then she starts. Any similar experience? Thanks.
Sort of similar experience on my 94 351W

No start when hot sometimes. Turned out to be the solenoid. Easiest was to check is when it does it jump the 2 big terminals with a screw driver with the key in the ON position. If it starts its likely the solenoid.

I agree with PKRWUD though, The "groggy turnover" sounds like high resistance(corrosion) somewhere, and resistance increases with heat, so that seems to fit your situation very well. Clean all your connections up with a wire brush and see what happens.

Ron

Quick Reply: starting issues/problems