Pre-1997 Models

Gas Saving Chips any Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas Saving Chips any Experience?

Does anyone have any experience with the gas saving chips or performance chips that are advertised on Ebay? Do they work and are there any negative effects? Will they work on my 92 5.0?
Link is below.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GAS-F...spagenameZWDVW

Thanks for any insight.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:05 AM
Most Ebay chips are a resistor in a box. Stay far away from them. Very far away.

On the flip side, some people have reported MPG increases using real tuner chips. No where even close to what those Ebay chip sellers claim, but in many cases enough to justify the fuel savings over time. Do a search on Superchips here, some of the old posts probably show MPG increases users are getting.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:17 AM
No, no, no, no!

Don't waste your time. If want better MPG, do a tune up with good parts, 9MM wires, a higher volt coil and gap your plugs to 0.055". Then advance your timing to 13.5*. When that is dont SeaFoam the truck and with your 3-4 MPG increase take effect.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the info. I thought that was the case, but thought I would ask. Could you recommend a good coil and wires that I could get at a reasonable price? When I bought my truck it came with Bosch platinum plugs with two prongs. They seem to do well. Can I gap these the same?

Quick Reply: Gas Saving Chips any Experience?