Pre-1997 Models

front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front bumper

so someone took a turn to sharp on my street and swiped the front of my truck. nothing big for damage except for my front bumper. its a '96 f-150. If you are looking at the front of the truck, the driver's side of the bumper is dropped down about an inch or so. How hard is it to straighten these out? any ideas?

Old 07-06-2008, 10:03 PM
I'm no expert at body work, but I recently had my bumper off and saw a lot of room for adjustment. You may be able to loosen the bolts on the mounting brackets and shift it enough to realign it. The bumpers themselves are not a very rigid item and have some give. Mine did, but it is quite rusty.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:50 PM
i had the same problem with my rear bumper, they are super hard to get back into shape because the metal is so springy, is it dented or bent if its bent they make a tool that your local bodyshop should have its called a pogo stick and its used to straighten bumpers i did this to mine and it came out close to where it had been before or LMC truck makes replacements for about 150

Old 07-08-2008, 07:31 PM
it is just bent down. it sags down to the drivers side. it is dropped about an inch lower than it should be. a guy at work wants me to put a 4x4 and a jack underneath of it to push it up. that sounds like it isn't going to make anything better. I think i am going to take it off this weekend and see if i can't get it straightened out

Old 07-09-2008, 11:24 PM
It would probably be good to see if you can see what is actually out of shape. Is it the bumper or mount or brackets, etc? My wife sideswiped someone with the front of my 94 Ranger and it did something similar. It was obviously out of line. IIRC I loosened the mounting bolts and used a jack to lift it back into place. Couldn't tell it.

Hope you get it back in place w/o too much trouble.

Quick Reply: front bumper