Pre-1997 Models

silly newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool silly newbie question

Hi all, just purchased a 94 f150 4x4 and i have (as the title suggests) a few silly questions.

First of all, i've already done the oil and tranny fluid changes. but i want to do the transfer case and the diff. Question is what fluids should i use?

Also had an exhaust ?. I have read before something about the longer the muffler is the quieter it is, is there any truth to this? I'm trying to get better airflow, but I dont want it to be super loud. I go to work early and used to wake up the kids all the time in my previous truck....lol.

thanks for any help, awesome site....hav

edit: truck is a reg cab, long bed with a 302. It's a fixer upper but runs and shifts good, will post pics in a few days.

Last edited by havoc5; 07-05-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:21 PM
congrats on the truck and welcome. as far as the exhaust goes it doesnt matter what you put on it because the 302 is pretty quiet as it is, so i cut out my second cat to make it louder. and transfer case just takes regular atf transmission fluid. and the differential i forget whether it takes 75w90 or 75w140. i believe my 93 4x4 took 75w140 gear oil when i changed it. and if you dont mind could you post what kind of fuel mileage your pulling off just so i can see if mine is about right. i'm getting no worst than 11.5 driving mine hard around town. but the best i've got was 13 around town driving it easy.

Last edited by Matts ford; 07-05-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:53 PM
i'll post my mpg's in the next day or so. I still have half a tank left, most of mine is highway driving. thanks for the info.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:43 PM
my mpg ended up being just a hair under 15. That was with about 75% of the miles being on the highway.

Now for my next few issues, the other day my speedo started bouncing around pretty dramatically and my cruise control isn't working. Would these two be related and my best guess would be something to do with the vehicle speed sensor, but i'm not sure.

Also, my front tank fuel pump isn't working. Since my rear one still works great, i'm assuming it has to be the fuel pump itself. I think if it were the relay or the inertia switch it would affect both the pumps.

hav

Old 07-07-2008, 10:19 PM
for the cruise control i would assume the recall would fix that. the speedo i believe is lubed with white grease. mine jumped around alot up to 30 mph for a while. it doesnt do it anymore. and i would assume the pump is bad if the other is working. thats the advantage of having 2 tanks . also for the cruise control, it may be unplugged because ford wanted to get the switches unplugged until they perform the recall so the trucks wouldnt go up in flames.

Last edited by Matts ford; 07-07-2008 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:18 PM
ty, i'll have to check with ford on the recall info. I cant find anything online that lists what the prob was, what the fix was etc. and they SHOULD be able to look in computer to see if it was fixed.

EDIT: after further research, i found the wire under hood that says there is a non-repairable fuse...so i'm assuming that is the new wiring harness.

Last edited by havoc5; 07-09-2008 at 05:56 PM.

Quick Reply: silly newbie question