Pre-1997 Models

AC clutch seal / bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 04:09 PM
JGW
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC clutch seal / bearing replacement

I searched around but didn't find anything relative to my specific problem. I've been without AC in my '94 for a few summers now and I'm at the breaking point. It's been diagnosed that my AC clutch seal or bearing is bad?? It's been a few years since the diagnosis but they ran the dye through the system and it showed up all around the AC clutch and on the underside of the hood. I see several parts stores carry a replacement bearing for the compressor and I'm wondering if swapping this out will fix it or do I need the entire compressor? If it can be replaced what kind of job is it and are any special tools needed?

The truck is a 1994, 4.9L, factory air.

Thanks,
John

Old 06-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Best just replace the whole compressor. You can get them at pick and pulls cheap or there about $300 at autozone. I would replace it because its leaking if the clutch bearing were just bad it shouldnt leak. Atleast get a used compressor a new clutch would cost what a used compressor would anyway.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:39 AM
JGW
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. Figured getting the entire compressor might be the best bet. I've found them at rockauto and auto parts warehouse for around $170-$180. Like you suggested, I'm going to check the pick-and-pulls, though.

Thanks again.
John

Quick Reply: AC clutch seal / bearing replacement