Pre-1997 Models

Rear main seal...how hard of a job?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear main seal...how hard of a job?

Ok guys, I have a leaking rear main seal. The truck is a '90 F250 ext cab long bed with a 351 and the E4OD tranny. How hard of a fix is this? From what I learned while searching, I'm going to need to drop the tranny.....Then what? I don't even know what a rear main looks like.

Thanks for the help,
Hunter

Old 05-08-2008, 08:59 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
If you are going to try to do it yourself, your first purchase should be a shop manual that tells you how. This is a time consuming job, and yes, the tranny has to come out.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:43 PM
I do have a Chilton manual, and just read through the procedure. It looks like it might be a PITA because the truck is a 4X4. The Chilton manual is kinda vague though, is there a better manual?

I have tackled other projects that I didn't have a clue about on this truck, using the Chilton, and always did fine. But I think this is going to be a lot harder.

Thanks again for all your help guys,
Hunter

Old 05-09-2008, 06:50 AM
Honestly, if you have to ask how hard it is to do the rear main, you probably don't want to be doing it yourself.

Call around town, try to find a shop that will let you bring in the parts, and drop it off for a day or two and will just work on it in their downtime...see if they can give you a little bit off for that. That way they're not losing money, just working on it when they wouldn't have been making any money anyway.

EDIT: Oh yeah...unless it's leaking pretty bad, leave it alone. Because chances are it will always drip a little bit.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by deapee

EDIT: Oh yeah...unless it's leaking pretty bad, leave it alone. Because chances are it will always drip a little bit.

Well, it doesn't leak a bit at idle or slow speeds, but after 5 minutes of driving in the highway it will start gushing...gushing enough to cause loss of oil pressure.

Thanks,
Hunter

Quick Reply: Rear main seal...how hard of a job?