Pre-1997 Models

Ball Joints and more

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 07:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ball Joints and more

I have a 92 F150 2wd ext cab 5.0 auto with 112000 miles. She is my work truck. She is not pretty and up until yesterday worked. I live in Pennsylvania and took the truck in for safety inspection and it failed

The list is front brakes pads both sides, front shocks, Ball joints upper and lower both sides, bed fender flares rusted through both sides, rad support and frame mounts.

To try to save some money I am doing to the brakes and shocks. I want to see if I can do the ball joints. I need help; do I need to rent a press? Can someone type through this, or am I being stupid. The garage wanted $450 to fix the ball joints. The welder wanted $500 to fix the rad support and frame mounts.

I am going to patch the bed myself or put plastic flares on, anyone no where I can get cheap costing ones?

Thank you

Old 04-04-2008, 04:31 PM
I just finished mine and followed the haynes manual. I was able to get a loaner press from the parts store. It's not a one day job for the rank amatuer like me, but I got finished, learned a lot. The hardest part of the whole job was trying to get the locknut nut on the lower ball joint to snug up. I had to torque everything up using a regular nut on the lower, then remove the regular nut (everything stays tight) and torque up with the lock nut.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Ok after three half days, 4 ball joints, 2 tie rod ends, two shocks, two calipers, new pads and a few odd brake lines, oh and a tub of bondo I finally put the truck on the ground. I went to get the welding done to the core support and found out that I am in desperate need of new front body mount bushings. Other then Ford where can I get these because my local parts store said I had to go to the dealership. Any thoughts

Old 04-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good job getting all that work done! Any busted knuckles? Let us know how the body mount job goes. Sounds like a dealer only part. I think I am in need too, and my local shop has gotten his share of my $$ already this month (3 vehicles with April inspections) so I'm gonna try and tackle it myself.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:17 AM
I have a set of Prothane body bushings that I got from Summit Racing that I need to install. I tried the front first and got the nut off the bolt that holds the bushing in, but I never did get the bolt to fall out so I could remove the bushing. So I put it back together for another day. But the new bushings do look sporty.

Quick Reply: Ball Joints and more