Pre-1997 Models

Spun rear pinion bearing

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spun rear pinion bearing

Well as if I did'nt have enough problems already I'm pretty sure I just spun my rear pinion bearing. Only getting noise while in "drive" nothing in "coast" Im at work right now and not sure if I'll even make it home..

What am I looking at here, would swapping the whole rear end be the easiest option, is that more or less bolt on? Obviously opening it and trying to fix is beyond my level. What parts would typically need to be, or should be replaced?

Would usuing this to upgrage to larger gears be worth while for me, or more of a headache?

Thanks for any imput.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by d_jordan8
Well as if I did'nt have enough problems already I'm pretty sure I just spun my rear pinion bearing. Only getting noise while in "drive" nothing in "coast" Im at work right now and not sure if I'll even make it home..

What am I looking at here, would swapping the whole rear end be the easiest option, is that more or less bolt on? Obviously opening it and trying to fix is beyond my level. What parts would typically need to be, or should be replaced?

Would usuing this to upgrage to larger gears be worth while for me, or more of a headache?

Thanks for any imput.
It isn't as hard as you would think. I did mine and the only problem was removing the races from the housing. everything else was easy. You will need a hand lining up the pinion gear and holding it in place while you tighten the nut and crush the sleeve, I think the entire rear end rebuild kit was around 80 bux at autozone.

Last edited by Radio; 04-01-2008 at 04:14 AM. Reason: I always mess it up

Quick Reply: Spun rear pinion bearing