Pre-1997 Models

1984 F-150, 351W, Need Pictures

Old 03-17-2008, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1984 F-150, 351W, Need Pictures

have a 1984 F-150 I just bought with a lot of vacuum hoses plugged with interesting things like drill bits, pencils, etc... I was wondering if someone could help me figure out what goes where with picturs of their 1984 351W or something similar?

Old 03-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by Kidmet
have a 1984 F-150 I just bought with a lot of vacuum hoses plugged with interesting things like drill bits, pencils, etc... I was wondering if someone could help me figure out what goes where with picturs of their 1984 351W or something similar?
There should be a very good diagram under the hood that shows where each hose goes.

Do you have a California Truck or a 49 state Truck?
What Ignition system do you have? (TFI [EEC] or DS II)
What transmission do you have?

Old 03-17-2008, 03:55 PM
There is a diagram under the hood, but I cannot make heads or tails of it, which is why I was hoping for pictures from someone that has a comparable setup. I was told the tranny was a C-6. It is not a California truck. I don't believe it is EEC (but any easy way to check would be greatly appreciated).

I have a Holley 4-barrel carb. The distributor (vacuum advance, I think) does have the vacuum hose connected. But, with my limited knowledge of Ford F-150s and the fact that these four lines (including one LARGE one) are blocked with drill bits and such, it could be run incorrectly. The truck runs poorly after a stop (usually stalls when i put more than a feather of touch on the gas pedal). It will also stall in turns sometimes. The large hose I am worried about runs under the carb with another smaller hose. (Note: it is not the large hose running from the manifold to the PCV, it's above that but below the carb [or maybe on the base of the carb]) Pictures below.

Last edited by Kidmet; 03-17-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:13 PM
If you have a vacuum hose going to the distributor then you have the DS II ignition system with a large ignition module bolted to the driver's fender.

I have a 1985 Van with the 351, 4V, C6 like you have but it may have a few changes from what you have. I also have an 83 that came with a 302 that I put a 351 in but I am sure it would not be the same.

The diagram looks like a mess the first time you look at one but it is laid out the same as the truck when new. After you look at it and start tracing lines it will start to get a lot clearer.
If you need any help with the acronyms in the diagram just post back and I will try to explain the item and what the acronym stands for.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:17 PM
The hose runs into a disk like thing attached to the distributor. I don't know if that is what you are talking about, if so, thanks! Yea, I am pretty lost when it comes to the acronyms. I know a few, but not many. The diagram I am looking at is here : http://www1.autozone.com/images/cds/...3d800ce682.gif

Pretty much need a definition of all the acronyms except PCV. Ugh! And the next problem is knowing what they look like under the hood and where they are!

Old 03-17-2008, 04:28 PM
That is the wrong diagram for your truck, you would have a different Calibration number than that one. That is an EEC Diagram.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:36 PM
The hose runs into a disk like thing attached to the distributor. I don't know if that is what you are talking about, if so, thanks!
Yes that is what I was talking about.
Yea, I am pretty lost when it comes to the acronyms. I know a few, but not many.
Pretty much need a definition of all the acronyms except PCV. Ugh! And the next problem is knowing what they look like under the hood and where they are!
Send me you email address to subford@gmail.com and I will email you the definitions of the acronyms.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:11 PM
The large hose I am worried about runs under the carb with another smaller hose. (Note: it is not the large hose running from the manifold to the PCV, it's above that but below the carb [or maybe on the base of the carb]) Pictures below.
That is the purge hose.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Where is that running to? Is that the vacuum advance?

Old 03-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Where is that running to? Is that the vacuum advance?
No that is the Vacuum Purge Valve and it empties the charcoal canister into the intake (throttle body under the carburetor).

Old 03-18-2008, 07:28 PM
ok, now I am going to sound stupid (which may or may not be true!) but I am still not getting where this is going. I looked at my truck today and didn't see anything like what you are talking about.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:46 PM
ok, now I am going to sound stupid (which may or may not be true!) but I am still not getting where this is going. I looked at my truck today and didn't see anything like what you are talking about.
You should have a charcoal canister that collects gas vapor from the gas tank while the engine is not running.
The charcoal canister has hoses running to the top of the gas tank and when the tank builds up pressure while the engine is not running the vapor goes into the charcoal canister.
There should be a hose(s) running from the charcoal canister through a vacuum valve to the base of the throttle body. It may not look just like the photo but should be close with a large hose.
When the engine starts and is warmed up a sensor in the engine will turn on vacuum to the valve and with the throttle at mid position the engine will burn the vapor from the charcoal canister.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1984 F-150, 351W, Need Pictures