Pre-1997 Models

Bigger fuel injectors w/ a 4.9L?

Old 03-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bigger fuel injectors w/ a 4.9L?

I have a 95' f-150, 4.9L EFI (300 I6), 4x4.

I was wondering if anyone has dropped bigger fuel injectors into this motor. I think that the stock injectors are 12 lb/hr. I have seen larger injectors for this motor.

Has anyone done this? Did it work/help with power and did it screw this the computer or completely drain more fuel than it was worth?

Thanks guys! I know you'll come up with something...

Old 03-16-2008, 11:07 PM
I'm sure it's been done before and that they make the larger injectors too. If it's performance you're looking for...try doing a basic tune up of your rig. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and run some seafoam through her. Not to mention a flush of all fluids. You'll be surprised on what a difference that makes.

If that's still not enough, look at some straight six performance sites. I know there is a few out there, I just can't think of it right off hand. Somebody will be able to point you in the right direction

Good Luck!

Edit: I found the site I was referring to... http://cliffordperformance.net/

Old 03-17-2008, 06:30 AM
Bigger injectors alone add zero HP and may increase emissions and cause drivability issues.

The injectors supply fuel in proportion to the air the engine consumes. Unless you've modified the stock engine to take in more air (i.e. increased the volumetric efficiency) the stock injectors will do the job nicely. Depending on how you cook the numbers, they will supply enough fuel for at least 168 HP and possibly enough for 195.

And Clifford is not the company it used to be when Jack was alive.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:24 PM
If you change the injector size, you would need to reprogram the computer to account for this. If you don't it will run rich when the computer is in open loop mode. This will clog your catalytic converter in short order and cause you other problems.

If everything else is stock, there is no reason to add bigger injectors.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:37 PM
thanks guys,

I have tuned just about everything I can think of. I changed plugs, wires,filters, fluids, ect. I'm still not sure if the timing is right. I know that some models couldn't be changed and others have to be changed in really unfimiliar ways. The sticker under the hood says that the timing can be checked (gives directions) but can't be changed.

I was kicking around the idea of cam, headers, and head. I was just wondering about injectors also.

If any of you knows more about the timing on the 95' 4.9L, I could use all the help I can get.

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bigger fuel injectors w/ a 4.9L?