Pre-1997 Models

'95 F-150 2WD Payload / Rear Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'95 F-150 2WD Payload / Rear Suspension Question

Yesterday I hauled a bed full of green firewood. As far as I could tell it basically bottomed out the rear suspension.

The straight six had no problems pulling the load, even up the big hill to my house, but it got me to thinking. What exactly is the rated payload capacity of these trucks?

Also, is there any kind of rear suspension upgrade that would keep the suspension from bottoming under such a load? I drive the truck on the street with an empty bed most of the time, so I'm not really looking for a huge lift kit or anything. Is there such a thing as just a stiffer spring that wouldn't alter the ride height unloaded, yet keep it from squatting so bad when loaded?

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-12-2008, 12:33 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
is there any kind of rear suspension upgrade that would keep the suspension from bottoming under such a load?
Airbags.

To get the rated payload, go get your truck weighed, then subtract the weight from the GVWR on the door jamb sticker. I'm guessing about 1500#.

The I-6 can pull loads far above the capacity of the chassis.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:36 PM
I started browsing on Summit and saw the airbag systems. For similar money one could get these http://www.activesuspension.com/index.htm

They might not eliminate all of the squat, but seems like they might help. Anybody have any experience with these?

On the airbag route, any suggestions as to the best brands?

Old 03-13-2008, 08:15 PM
On my 94 F150 4X4 I put the rear suspension out of a F350 cab/chassis and also added an add-a-leaf, I honestly forget how many springs are in the rear, I think it is either 7 or 8. I have hauled 4600lbs before, I don't really want to do it again either, the drive train didn't have any issues but my load range C Kumho M/T's (33X12.50X15) where sure showing the weight. I also use the truck for a work truck so I always have around 700lbs of tools, ladders, chains, ect in the bed so it really doesn't ride very bad. But would be over kill for you.

I would suggest airbags also. I have Firestone Ride-Rite bags in the rear of my 04 F150 and love them since you can adjust for the weight that you are hauling.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by PHS79
On my 94 F150 4X4 I put the rear suspension out of a F350 cab/chassis and also added an add-a-leaf, I honestly forget how many springs are in the rear, I think it is either 7 or 8. I have hauled 4600lbs before, I don't really want to do it again either, the drive train didn't have any issues but my load range C Kumho M/T's (33X12.50X15) where sure showing the weight. I also use the truck for a work truck so I always have around 700lbs of tools, ladders, chains, ect in the bed so it really doesn't ride very bad. But would be over kill for you.

I would suggest airbags also. I have Firestone Ride-Rite bags in the rear of my 04 F150 and love them since you can adjust for the weight that you are hauling.
How hard was it to put the 1 ton springs in, did they bolt right in place, or did you have to change the brakets?

Old 03-13-2008, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by ccmac
How hard was it to put the 1 ton springs in, did they bolt right in place, or did you have to change the brakets?
Mine bolted right in. I don't know what year the leaf stacks came out of though, since I jut called the scrap yard and gave them the eye-to-eye measurements of the stock leaf springs and they found a set that would fit. He did say that they were out of a F350 cab/chassis and they actually sag alot more than I thought that they would so I am guessing that what ever truck they were in must have had alot of miles and must have been loaded most the time. That is the reason that I put a add-a-leaf in the the stack also, to get the rear end up in the air a little more and level it out when loaded. With this set-up it takes somewhere around 2500lbs to make the truck sit almost perfectly level.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by glc
The I-6 can pull loads far above the capacity of the chassis.
Yes, this I know! I love that engine, even if it does get **** poor gas mileage. I'd be worried about the clutch before I'd ever worry about something that the engine couldn't handle. It may not pull it very quickly, but it'll will pull it!

Old 03-14-2008, 09:35 AM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Putting a 1 ton suspension or any kind of add-a-leaf in it will make it ride terrible with no or a small load. Airbags can be inflated and deflated to compensate for the exact load.

Not only do you need to be mindful of the clutch, the input shaft on the M5OD tranny is its weak link.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Not only do you need to be mindful of the clutch, the input shaft on the M5OD tranny is its weak link.
Curious, is there any bolt in replacement for that trans that would be stronger yet retain overdrive? Not that I intend to break it, but I'm the kind of guy who likes to make something better if I do have to replace it.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by glc
My truck still has the original clutch in it at 160,000 miles, with ALOT of towing of our Bobcats (7000lbs+) and hauling of tools and material.

I have never had any problems with the input shaft in the M5OD. But I did destroy the output shaft on the tranny and input shaft on the transfer case. Once this tranny goes out I am going to swap in a ZF5.

Quick Reply: '95 F-150 2WD Payload / Rear Suspension Question