Pre-1997 Models

prioritizing build

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prioritizing build

This is a long post, but I'd apprecitate you reading it and responding.

I have an '89 F-150 that my daughter is currently using as a daily driver. I'm currently driving an '02 Explorer. My plan is sending her off to college in the explorer and doing some work to the '89 and making it my daily driver.

I want some opinions on how to prioritize what I'm going to do.

Particulars about the truck.

XLT Lariat Regular Cab Long Bed

Body is straight except for a 16 year old girl fender bender on the right front. Paint is extremely faded. I can get the body work done and a cheapo paint job for $1000 approximately.

It has the 5.0L engine and AOD transmission. The truck has 233,000 miles on it. My Father-in-Law bought the truck in 1994 when it had 85,000 miles on it. He and my Brother-in-law are both mechanics and the truck has been taken extremely good care of. Oil changed every 3000 miles (which I have maintained) and all regular maintenance taken care of. Had a low-end overhaul (bearings) done in the mid 100,000's miles. It burns no oil, starts every time and sound like a new truck when it runs. It feels like it has good power.

I drive between 15,000 and 18,000 miles per year. The motor seems sound so I am considering dealing with the paint and body issues first. The problem is that I know that the engine has a lot of miles. What, should I do to assess the engine's possible longevity, or is that possible? Or should I just bite the bullet and get a reman engine. I can get one installed here in Dallas for approx $2000, but that would mean postponing the paint and body work indefinitely. I need the truck to last me around 3 years, putting it near 300,000 miles.

I know this is a long post, but I could really use your opinions.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:48 PM
I would get the body work done and not look back. With the engine, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If the motor would happen to go out you could find a lower mileage motor at a junk/salvage yard for alot cheaper that $2000 and since your father-in-law and brother-in-law or both mechanics I am guessing that you could get them to do the work for either cheap or free labor.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:07 PM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
Just keep up with preventive maintenance (oil changes, tuneups, tranny service, etc.) and run it till it drops. 302's are generally good for 300k if well maintained and not abused. I'd be more concerned about the AOD. Only do the body work if you really want to. I'd be tempted to pound out and Bondo the dents, hit them with a rattle can, and try to polish the rest of it.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by glc
Just keep up with preventive maintenance (oil changes, tuneups, tranny service, etc.) and run it till it drops. 302's are generally good for 300k if well maintained and not abused. I'd be more concerned about the AOD. Only do the body work if you really want to. I'd be tempted to pound out and Bondo the dents, hit them with a rattle can, and try to polish the rest of it.
outstanding advice. Don't spend any money on it until you have to. As soon as you spend all the $$ from your piggy bank on one thing, something else is sure to go.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Thanks guys!

Anyone else?

Old 03-03-2008, 08:21 PM
I'd do a compression check on the motor. If all is fine, just drive it the way it is.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tsjJohn -
I know the last few posts did little to satisfy your desire to put some $$ into your truck, so that you can enjoy it more. This is called the "mod bug". It's perfectly normal, but must be satisfied in order to prevent mental illness. However, it can lead to irrational wasting of big $$ on an old truck. My recommendation in this case is to buy something really cool for it, without breaking the bank. A good example of this would be a sweet new stereo. Nothing beats some rockin sound in your vehicle. It'll make you forget that the truck has lotsa miles, and it'll take away the faded paint blues. Best of all, it can be removed, and installed in your next vehicle should you lose that lovin feelin for this rig.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:50 PM
the cool thing is that it has a good head unit that I bought for her 16th birthday. It will stay in the truck. I don't want to do a ton of stuff, but i do want to get the body work done. Like I said I can do what I want to do for under $1000. Just didnt' want to do that and then have the motor go out immediately.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Hell i agree with the rest of them, call certifit get you a fender for 50-60 bucks bolt that bad boy on there then buy some bad@$$ headlights off ebay, and hit it with the rattle can, polish it til she shines and run the hell out of the engine, i have had lots of 302's and will put my faith in them.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Oh yeah, and the AOD if/when it goes bad, go get you a ZF man. out of a junkyard and do the conversion swap, you cant break them things.

Quick Reply: prioritizing build