Pre-1997 Models

96 upper and lower ball joints....

Old 02-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 upper and lower ball joints....

how hard are they to change? a shop wants to charge me 120 a peice for 4 ball joints... is it worth paying someone else to do it? they dont look that hard to change...

Old 03-01-2008, 07:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did this job on mine about a year ago. I followed the Haynes manual and it took me through it pretty well. The job was do-able and worth it for me.

The most difficult part was the actual removal and replacement of the ball joints. Some large c-clamps or a press, and sleeves are needed to press the old ones out and the new ones in. I used a vice, hammer, a piece of exhaust pipe and a brass bushing that I found lying around in my dad's old shop building. I boogered up one of the new ones and decided to replace it.

You might be able to remove the steering knuckle and get a local shop to remove and replace the joints for you.

Be prepared that it will take some time and that you may run into some other things that need replaced. I changed u-joints and bearings, while I had it torn down. I forgot the axle seals and wish I had done them too.

Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 upper and lower ball joints....