Pre-1997 Models

1992 Brake question, and an intro

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 10:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 Brake question, and an intro

Hi.
I am new here. Been on a Mustang site for several years, but had to get rid of that car, so the 92 F150 is now both my daily driver and project truck. So I have a lot to learn about it.

The most critical right now is the brakes. I have developed a serious leak coming from somewhere over the rear axle. I haven't been able to get under it yet to track it down. But it looks like the area near where the rubber hoses meet the steel line coming from the front. I am hoping it is the rubber hoses and not the steel line, but I have heard that here in Ohio it usually is the steel line.

So, first, any suggestions on anywhere I could find a pre-bent line? I haven't had any luck looking online, and am doubtful if they exist, but it can't hurt to ask. I haven't had to mess with bending lines since high school auto shop over 30 years ago.

Secondly, a basic question. When the leak developed, I lost all braking. I am not real familar with newer cars. Does the master cylinder not have divided sections anymore to prevent a leak at one end from draining the entire master cylinder? Or am I just not seeing this right?

Oh, yeah. The truck is a 92 F150 standard cab XLT (could be just an XL, can't remember right now) with the 4.9 engine and 5 speed. 2wd. The turn signal lever has the cruise control controls on it, but it doesn't work.
Had airconditioning, but a previous owner removed the compressor for some reason. Heater works great, though. A/C, cruise, and windshield washer are the only things that don't really work on it. Has lots of rust, something I am not used to, having lived in Phoenix Arizona most of my life. Got it at a good price from another Mustanger last summer. Been really reliable so far, up until this brake problem, but as old as it is I am not surprised that a brake line has gone, be it steel or rubber. Driving it this winter has been a real experience though. Not much snow or ice in Phoenix. Can't get the wife to move back there, so I have to learn how to drive here.

Thanks,
Russ

Last edited by Russ Osborne; 02-27-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:00 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
I wouldn't worry about bending new metal lines - they can be bent easily by hand.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advanced auto or any of your local automotive parts store should have pre bent lines in stock and if they don't they can probably have them next day.Advanced auto got me a rear transfer case output seal the next day at 11am when i ordered it at the store a 8:30pm

Quick Reply: 1992 Brake question, and an intro