Pre-1997 Models

Clunk with vidio to prove it.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clunk with vidio to prove it.

Well i managed to get some good vidio of a recent clunking that has been going on .

On the passengers side theres a control arm that likes to go up and down , is there suppose to be a bushing in there , can someone help me or point me in the right direction to tackle this job and what needs to be done to fix it.

The truck is a 94 4.9 6er with 2 wheel drive
Heres 2 vidios of the damage form different angles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EIk8NgbBsw

From another angle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHjSd_lkaBE

Old 02-25-2008, 07:13 PM
I didn't watch the vids since youtube is blocked on this computer, but I know the bushing that you are most likely talking about it is called a radius arm bushing. I havn't had to replaced them on my truck yet, but I did helpa buddy do his. We cut the heads off the rivits that hold the bracket to the frame, then used a air hammer to knock them out of the frame. Replaced the bushings, and bolted the bracket back to the frame with grade 8 bolts, lock washers, and locking nuts (since you really don't want them backing themselves off). It all it took about 4 hours to do both sides, with air tools, if I remember right, its was over 5 years ago that we did the job.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:24 PM
Yup, he made the right diagnosis without even seeing the video. Radius Arm Bushing is shot. Repair directions are pretty good to. Getting the nut off the end of the arm is a PITA as well. Air tools are a plus, or a really big wrench. Not alot of technical skill needed, just some big muscles.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:30 PM
I went and picked me up a radius arm bushing kit ' i dont have any air tools to knock out those rivits but instead im taking it to a shop close by to get it done.
Thanks for the info guys.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:40 AM
Didn't have to take it to the shop. They started bolting on the passenger side brackets from the factory in late 88-90 and up. Drivers side is still riveted, though. Guess factory figured the exhaust heat would eventually make bushing go bad.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Quick tip....if youtube is blocked on a public/work computer, there's an easy way around it.

Just type in "ie.youtube.com"

It's the British site, but is exactly the same as the American. Same videos, your account works, ect

Smart to take it to a shop if you don't have the tools...you'll probably end up rounding it off of slicing your hand open trying. Lots of PB and an impact gun make it a lot easier.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:58 PM
what's a 'vidio'?

Quick Reply: Clunk with vidio to prove it.