Pre-1997 Models

Broken Frame

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken Frame

It's been a while since I've posted on here, mainly because my F150's frame rusted through quite some time ago. Anyways.. I have a perfect running truck sitting in my front lawn, with piece of the frame basically missing on the drivers side, right where the bed and cab connect just about. After this winter I'd really like to get this thing fixed, even if its just to use it as a beater truck for a while.... Can I have someone weld it, or is there any other ways, or what are my other options?? Thanks in advance for any help..

-Dave

Old 02-25-2008, 07:30 PM
It kinda depends on how bad the frame actually is, where the break is and also finding a shop that will work on frames. Some will, some won't. We have had frames on class 8 dump trucks both lengthened and shortened by 2 different welding shops. Both of them made what I would call a Z cut in the frame and them pulled them apart, made the same cut either on another piece to go into the frame or on the section to be removed. Then push the rear part of the frame back in line with the front section and weld it back together. Now this is the not important part, they put a face plate and a backer plate on the cut section(s) that went 2-3 feet past the welds in both directions. One shop bolted the backer and face plate on, the other welded them on. Both trucks are still on the road with no problems from the frame alterations.

Long story, short, yes it can probably be fixed. But is it really worth it?

What ever you do MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE A CERTIFITED WELDER/SHOP DO THE WORK!!!! DO NOT DO THE JOB YOURSELF!!!!

Old 02-26-2008, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the reply PHS79. I guess when i really think about it, its not worth it to get it back on the road, as much as I love the truck. I suppose parting with it is probably the best idea. It's just a shame that the frame, of all things, is what's broken.. just about anything else I'd be able to fix myself. Thats just part of living way up here in the snow, all that salt they use on the roads takes its toll after a while.. Okay, thats enough of my pointless rant, I'm just a little depressed thats all.. .. me and this truck have had some memories

-Dave

Last edited by david_aaron236; 02-26-2008 at 12:56 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My condolences on your loss brother. These trucks have a way of attaching themselves to us. Mine has developed a malignant melonoma just behind the driver's door, which gets me all choked up just thinking about it, especially since it survived a double frame repair just a couple of years ago. I think my next one will be a Bronco from Arizona.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:38 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
With the prices of these trucks now, find another with a solid frame, strip your's down, and make a better truck from the pieces.

Adrianspeeder

Old 02-26-2008, 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder
With the prices of these trucks now, find another with a solid frame, strip your's down, and make a better truck from the pieces.

Adrianspeeder
Yeah Adrian, thats probably gonna be what I end up doing, once I get some extra cash. There's no way I could have this truck taken to a junkyard, like I said before, and what 1muddytruck said, you get attached to these trucks after a while, ya know... Thanks for the responses fellas, I think i've decided what i'm going to do.. after all, the truck has a low milage 300 I6 and a pristine M5OD tranny.

-Dave

Last edited by david_aaron236; 02-26-2008 at 11:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Broken Frame