Pre-1997 Models

89 f150 vibration on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 f150 vibration on acceleration

when i take off there is a vibration that can be felt thru the pedals. the higher the rpms the worse the vibration and contiues untill it shifts . it is fine untill the rps are back up past 1300. does it in all gears . i popped the hood and reved the engine and notices the belt tentioner jumping iradicaly so i replaced it . still has the same problem can you guys give some insite to this issue.

the tranny was replaced about 3 months ago and drivshaft was cut and balanced. did not have any problems untill a few days ago.

Thanks GKing

Old 02-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You said IT shifts, so i'm assuming you have an automatic transmission. I would check the bolts that attach the torgue converter to the flywheel(called a flex plate in an automatic) check the bolts for tightness or anything broken or otherwise obvious. Also wiggle the flex plate to try and determine if it is tightly bolted to the crankshaft. Also check the bolts that attach the transmission to the engine.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:27 PM
thanks for the input i will check out. i also noticed today that if at a stop light and idleing you can barely feel the vibration thru the brake pedal.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:31 PM
i had this prob a while back and it turned out to be my u-joint on the back part of driveshaft may wanna check that out...

Old 02-12-2008, 06:23 PM
as it may be

I want to thank you all for your input . As it may be it , i beleive it is the water pump ( the shaft to fan clutch was broke or cracked and is moving around. Now i have a nre issue how to remove broke bolts. the bolts were rusted and snaped. they are protruding about 1/4 to 1/2 inch out of timing cover. I have tried vice grips and a bolt out tool from irving but just snaped off more. are there any suggestions I really dont want to try to drill out the bolts they are about 4 to 5 inches and go thru timing cover into the block......... any suggestions gracefully accepted.

Ty
GKing

Old 02-12-2008, 10:09 PM
JD.
check all of the U-joints, axel bearings, and drive shaft angle

Old 02-13-2008, 03:32 PM
my water pump bolts did the same thing. are you tryin to get the bolts out with the timing cover still on the block?? if so you are most likely out of luck when my motor had to be torn down i broke the water pump bolts also. i couldnt get them out because they were stuck in the timing cover itself, with it being aluminum and the bolts being steel they corroded and locked up, so i had to break the timing cover off with a hammer and once i distroyed the timing cover the bolts turned out of the block easly with vise grips. a new timing cover is somewhere around 100 bucks but i scored one out of a scrap yard for cheap. good luck

Quick Reply: 89 f150 vibration on acceleration