Pre-1997 Models

Turn Signal

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn Signal

1988 F150 302 EFI. The right turn signal indicates on the dash with a steady (not blinking) light however the right rear signal does not work and the right front light comes on steady (not blinking). The left turn signal works just fine.

The cruise control doesn't work either. Any thoughts?

Old 02-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Suggest two different problems here.

Suggest that the failed signal lamp in the RR is the cause of the non-flashing. There is not enough load on the bi-metal blinker to heat it up. Get the lamp working and you should be good-to-go.

No good ideas on the cruise control. Suggest to check the fuses and make sure the control buttons in the steering wheel are making good contact.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Agreed. Only one working bulb won't load up the element enough to blink. On older cars they have a metallic element, the metal puck in the cab fuse box. As electrical load from the lights passes through it heats up and separates, then it cools and makes contact, that's how it blinks. Almost always blinker problems stem from a bad bulb or short, resulting in a very slow or not blinking or a very rapid blink, respectively.

Check the light that doesn't blink and replace it if necessary. If that bulb is fine, start checking wires to it. Does it come on with running lights/brake lights?

On my truck the "coast" button for the cruise is a little stiff, like you have to push it pretty hard for it to register. I've heard a lot of cases where the steering wheel buttons get non-responsive after a while, that would be my first thing to check after the fuse.

Quick Reply: Turn Signal