Pre-1997 Models

fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel filter

I need to change up my fuel filter, i have it and was wondering if there is any tips on how to change this up .

Iv never changed one before and am in need of some guidence on what to do before removing it .

The truck its going on is a 4.9 IL6.
Thanks a bunch .
Garry

Old 01-22-2008, 08:50 PM
You'll need a special tool to remove it, the filter has a sort of internal clip that has to be compressed for it to let go of the line. You can get one at any auto parts store for a few dollars.

Get under the truck, and look on the driver's side frame rail, pretty much right under the cab. The filter will be tucked into the frame rail, but it's pretty obvious. Both tanks share that one filter BTW, there's no second one hidden somewhere.

Some people like to pull the fuse for the fuel pump while the motor is running and let it go dry to get all the gas out of the line to avoid spills, but I changed the filter without doing that and it was fine. When you pull the old one out, have a bucket/rags ready, as well as the new one. Make the swap as quickly as possible and wipe up any spills after.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Another note: On some trucks the clip that holds the filter in doesn't leave much room to get to things. I found it quicker to just unbolt the clip and remove it with the filter, then take it off.

There are all types of line tools, from really cheap plastic to all sorts of metal ones. I think you should need a 5/16. After having a tank line kick my tail with trying other line tools, I'm rather partial to this type.

The cheap plastic tools work some of the time without hassle, so far since I've had these they always pop right off.

I don't relieve the fuel pressure or pull the fuse either. Not much gas comes out at all.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:01 AM
I have a tool from Advance Auto parts, cheaply made, has 4 different size ends to fit the garter springs. Cost about 7 bucks, worth its weight in gold laying on your back under the truck.....

MikeK

Old 01-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Mike,

Is that the "X" type tool with the hinge in the middle you're talking about?

Old 01-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
sounds like that is what he's talking about

Old 01-23-2008, 03:41 PM
Thats 1 thing i was worried about was the amount of fuel that will be comming out of the lines, Thanks again guys.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by signmaster
Mike,

Is that the "X" type tool with the hinge in the middle you're talking about?

thats the one, works just fine!

Old 01-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Well i just finished swapping over the fuel filter and broke out the clips in 1 line, the clips inside the hose broke, will this be a problem or will the safty clips be ok to hold the line together, i ran it to see and i did not see it dripping.

Quick Reply: fuel filter